• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

150mph mondeo dash?

KAOS_3.0

Hard-core CEG'er
so I found this today, wondering if it will work?

76a1_1.JPG

You should get a picture of the rear (more specificially the connectors) because Mondeos are wired different, and so it could be totally incompatible.

Plus, what year is that off of? Mondeos have been made since 1993, and that could be mechanical if it's old.

There are SO many things that could be different about it. Their higher end models had a trip computer that required a different fuel pump, which might mean the fuel guage reads different.

The warning lights could be in different places (i.e. the oil pressure light might come on when it's really wanting you to put your seatbelt on).

So yeah, get a picture of the rear of the cluster and compare it with pics that are all over CEG and see if they are the same. If it passes that step, then you can decide to purchase it or not. Then you just plug it in and grab a GPS and test the sucker out... see if it reads properly.

so I found this today, wondering if it will work?

76a1_1.JPG
i have a spare 150mph speedo. Just the speedo..not the whole cluster. It is electronic not mechanical. I could be persuaded to send it to you to play with in exchange for some gaskets i need...G.

here's a shot of the back of it..

Attachments

• DSCI0010.jpg
    DSCI0010.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1
Oh man, i can't remember now what the back of a Contour speedometer looks like :p

I think it's a sorta ribbon type cable that goes into it... from the pic you uploaded, I can't really tell if it takes a ribbon or a cable with a connector on it.

I tell ya what, if nobody else knows, when i get home, I have an SVT speedometer head lying around, so i'll compare :p

on the back of the mondeo cluster is a printed circuit in green plastic. The connector that goes into the back of the speedo is an 11 conductor ribbon that has a white plastic plug on the end...I thought just swapping out the speedo would be the simplest way to go. .. G.

some SVTs (IIRC late 98s and 99-00) have the pin type connectors like the tach, only with 2 groups of 3 instead of 1.

on the back of the mondeo cluster is a printed circuit in green plastic. The connector that goes into the back of the speedo is an 11 conductor ribbon that has a white plastic plug on the end...I thought just swapping out the speedo would be the simplest way to go. .. G.

so you think it'll work then?

thats awesome, I'm guessing the speedo will fit into a domestic v6 cluster with tach? like, if I buy a tach'd cluster and pick up this speedo, I'll be good?

what gaskets did you need?

wonder if they have white faces for the euro gauges....

i think you should get a cluster first..then check out the connections on the back. Compare them to the photo i posted. No rush.. i'll keep it 'til yer ready. I'm doing a cam swap... the gaskets over here are seriously over priced. So, if you find any of those..let me know...G.

so you just need valve cover gaskets? I thought they didn't need replacing?

maybe I'm confused

let me know what sort of gaskets and I'll check around over here for ya.

i definately will need the timing cover gaskets. I should imagine the heat from the engine will have hardened the rocker cover gaskets, not sure if instant gasket will seal them up again. My LIM/UIM gaskets have been resealed with instant gasket several times and could be renewed. I would say that order of priority is Timing... Rocker.. LIM/UIM. Thanks for that. Let me know how you get on with the cluster... G.

no prob

I actually couldn't find the three part timing cover gasket anywere but ford, so...

but I'll check on the cam covergasketes and the IM gasketes.

so far I came up with these prices from parts america. I checked carpart.com but they were crazy.

the parts america prices are for my zipcode via local store pickup, not sure if they would be different were your at

Cam seal:

SKF Oil Seal
Camshaft Seal: 1 Per Vehicle
Warranty: Limited 2 Year*

$11.99

Timing cover/harmonic balancer seal:

SKF Oil Seal
Timing Cover Seal: 1 Per Vehicle
Warranty: Limited 2 Year*

$7.99

IM gaskets:

Niehoff Ignition Plenum Gasket
Plenum Gasket Set: Qty. Used 1
Warranty: Limited 3 Month*

$18.99

or:

Fel Pro Intake Manifold Gasket Set
DOHC engine; Lower set; Upper set incl.
Warranty: Limited 1 Year*

$38.99

Valve cover gasket set (with valve seals ect)

Fel Pro Valve Cover Gasket Set: Rubber
Part Number: VS50462R

$41.99

found this at rock auto

CORTECO Part # 19906
MoreInfo.gif

Molded Rubber - Includes Spark Plug Tube Seals and Grommets- Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 1 business day
getimage.php

$22.79$0.00$22.79

ok ..sweet. If you hit me with a pm, we can keep this thread to the point.. 150mph Speedo swaps. BTW my tacho has three pins which plug in behind the dial... as does the temp and fuel gauge... G.

no prob

I actually couldn't find the three part timing cover gasket anywere but ford, so...

but I'll check on the cam covergasketes and the IM gasketes.

Is this what you're looking for? The front of the engine where the pulleys are?

FEL-PRO Part # TCS45967 {Crankshaft Front Seal Set}

getimage.php

ok ..sweet. If you hit me with a pm, we can keep this thread to the point.. 150mph Speedo swaps. BTW my tacho has three pins which plug in behind the dial... as does the temp and fuel gauge... G.
yes, and the 99-00 (and i think the late 98s as well) speedos are the same way only with 6 pins instead of 3.

yes, and the 99-00 (and i think the late 98s as well) speedos are the same way only with 6 pins instead of 3.
The 150mph speedo doesn't have pins like the rest....it has a rectangular socket. It is 11 pin...see photo .. seems it won't work for you guys then. Maybe the whole cluster might be the way to go. We'll have to compare pinouts...they can be re-arranged.. G.

it might work on some of the clusters as i have a spare SVT cluster that has the ribbon cable type connection for the speedo.

Back