• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

09 escape engine?

The Jag X-type is basically a reskin of the 3rd gen Mondeo. The contour is related to the 1st and 2nd gen Mondeos.
All 3 generations of Mondeos have had AWD versions in Europe.
S-type shares a platform with the Lincoln LS.
Would that mean a 1st or 2nd gen all wheel drive system for the mondeo would be the easiest to use for a swap into the contour?

It sounds like only about 500 were made with AWD so I agree with the above comment. Besides that the cars are pretty old now and things may need replacing.

Would that mean a 1st or 2nd gen all wheel drive system for the mondeo would be the easiest to use for a swap into the contour?

Most likely. But I'm not aware of anyone on this side of the pond that has a good look underneath one of the AWD models with the swap in mind to figure out what would work and what wouldn't. It would still likely be the simplest way to do it. Though, probably not the cheapest.

Rumor has it that there was a privately owned CSVT running around Dearborn here that was running the X-type AWD stuff. I've never seen the car, but a few people that I trust claim to have seen it, with the only tell tale signs from the outside being the 5-lug hubs.

The x-type was based on the Wagon version of the MK II Mondeo. Longer wheelbase, smoother ride. The AWD system was a Jag thing and I'm dubious about it's reliability - especially from a junked car. Additionally, the system is electronically controlled, so just bolting up the parts and modding your chassis to accept them is only the beginning if you start from the Jag parts.

I've done some thinking about this AWD mod and determined the most ideal approach would be to grab parts from a 2002 Escape AWD system. It was mechanically controlled and would require only the needed modding for the rear diff, etc. at the back end. MAAAYYYYBE some modding to fit the transfer case under there, but that doesn't appear to be a problem from initial recon. Even then, the rear end modding might be reduced by getting hold of the Focus RS-8 rear end configuration and adapting for it.

Sup'm to think about.

The awd system wouldn't work from what i can tell without A LOT of work. We don't even have a driveshaft tunnel, much less any room to put one.

The awd system wouldn't work from what i can tell without A LOT of work. We don't even have a driveshaft tunnel, much less any room to put one.
people make rwd probe gt's..and they have just as much of a driveshaft tunnel as we do:shrug:

Back