• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Battery Relocation kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
well I think the 4 guage is good enough and then I can just replace the stereo witing I already have in the car ... but I suppose I could step it up to the 0/1 gage ... which ever is needed first ...

Keep in mind, that if you run more amps in the trunk, they won't be pulled off the same 4 guage wire as the starter thanks to the pimpy distribution block that Steeda is including in this kit. I got the 0/1 guage stuff because I'm an engineer, and I like to go for overkill.

btw, Steeda delivered my kit personally yesterday. If this were ebay, I'd give him A++ feedback; he's my hero.

Not to derail this thread but...

There's a difference between the right way and what you can get away with. Running a battery cable that is to small will cause a HUGE voltage drop and potentially a FIRE. If you live in a warm climate, you can get away with a 20% voltage drop to your starter. Also, 95% of the time, a car stereo amp only draws a fraction of it's rated power. 8awg works for the majority of car stereo systems.

Ideally, you don't want more than a 3% voltage drop. Measure the run to your trunk, double it, then check out the chart/link below...

http://ecatalog.westmarine.com/0554.asp

HTH,
BP

Just so you know.

I had a 92 SHO with a Relocated battery using 4 gauge. BTW the SHO Starter pulls 120amps. Also had a Elemental designs Nine.1 and Nine.4 as well as a ton of other electronic devices. Zero Issues over 2 years. Also the current owner has the same setup and has for over a year and a half.

Soo 3.5 years in a car that pulls more power to get started than any CONTOUR on the road. Just some food for thought :)

Not to derail this thread but...

There's a difference between the right way and what you can get away with. Running a battery cable that is to small will cause a HUGE voltage drop and potentially a FIRE. If you live in a warm climate, you can get away with a 20% voltage drop to your starter. Also, 95% of the time, a car stereo amp only draws a fraction of it's rated power. 8awg works for the majority of car stereo systems.

Ideally, you don't want more than a 3% voltage drop. Measure the run to your trunk, double it, then check out the chart/link below...

http://ecatalog.westmarine.com/0554.asp

HTH,
BP

First, the 3% rule of thumb is for voltage sensitive electronics and lights that you don't want to see go dim and things like that. A intermittant short term load like the starter is definately more in the 10% rule of thumb category, which according to your chart makes the 4 guage wiring just fine up to 160 amps for runs far longer than you would see in a contour battery relocation. And according to the 3% chart, a typical 15 ft run of 4 guage wouldn't be far off from meeting the starter load anyway.

While I understand where you are coming from, because of the severity of really screwing this up, but there is just no reason to promote paranoia here. The 4 guage is clearly adequate in this case.

I have no idea what is best for me! I have a CSVT with 6x9's adapted to fit in the rear, more powerful 5x7's in front and a 300w amp and 2 10" subs in the trunk. Can one of you electrical types give me some advice on which of these to go with? I too am thinking of the turbo kit in the future.
Thanks
Rod

Personal preference. IMHO i see no reason for more than 4gauge in 99% of the cars.

Ok I'm kinda in the same boat as 2ksvt. this is what i have in a Cougar.

Turbo kit installed
2 infinity 10" subs
5x7 infinity rears
6.5" component fronts
640 Watt California 4 channel Amp
600 Watt Audibahn 2 channel Amp
4 different gauges to support the turbo.
2 farad Cap
Stock 6 disc indash radio

Any ideals of whats best.

guys, any of the rear mounted amps would be run directly from the distribution block, and not through the main lead up to the front of the car. You would have to have some serious steady state amperage for the 4 guage to not be adequate. You would have to have a rather extreme case to NEED the 0/1 guage. But, if you are really worried about it, just order the larger guage anyway, its really not that much more.

If i can find some extra money here in the next few days (aka tax refund) i might get the kit. I would get the 4 gauge kit. I'll let you guys know when iget the money or if i find some extra somewhere.

Very pleased with my item, except for the post office/ appartment complex office losing my item since friday.

Thanks Again,
thumb.gif

standard.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back