• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

fuse box

CSVT_MAN

New CEG'er
i was wondering if anyone can tell me how to open up the interior fuse box on my 98 svt contour. i have looked in the owners manual and its description is different that what my car is like, at least to me it seems different. maybe there is a trick to it that i don't know or i just can't find the release latch. any help will be appreciated.

Once you contort yourself enough to look UP under the firewall, you'll see the fusebox (rectangular) with a small half-moon(IIRC) shaped pull-lever.

Simply wrap your first two fingers around that pull lever and pull straight towards the carpet.. the fusebox will swing down, and pivot on the hinges (which are on the firewall side of the fusebox)

it took me forever to find that damn little half golf tee lever...that thread really helped though

thanks ray guys for the replies. it helped to know what the pull-lever looked like as well as the links led me to discover that the pull-lever is burred under a bunch of wires. the fuse is replaced and all is working great. thanks

Heh, I had this same problem when I first got my car (before I found these forums) and the cigarette lighter wasn't working (to charge my cellphone). Wanted to check the fuse first before any kind of freak out. After contorting my 6'3" behind down there, I was looking under at it like wth?? Took a good while to figure out how to get it open. :blackeye:

Back