• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Not Working - cruise control, power mirrors, radio, lights...clicking noise @ shifter

FlOoReD

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Hi everyone I have a 98 Contour 4cyl Zetec AT AC 4 door and every time I hit the brakes, a clicking sound comes from the shifter in any/every gear.
Also, the cruise control, power mirrors, interior lights, radio, and clock don’t work. (The exterior of the radio still has lights coming to it, but doesn’t power on.) No fuses are burned.
The previous posts stated that the brakes clicking and the non-functioning features are related. I did what was recommended on the previous posts…I tried replacing the park sensor, which I think is a cylinder shaped device right under the shifter, but it didn’t help. Does anyone know the solution?
Thanks for everyone's help in advance.

Last edited:
Welcome. Usually a thread like this gets more traffic in the Troubleshooting Forum.

Check/change Relay 12 in Power Distribution Box next to battery. In addition, check/change Fuses 32, 34 (and 19 if your 98 has one) in the Passenger Compartment Fuse box, left of steering column by left knee. Push/pull button/lever to swing down the fuse box.

How did you determine that the Fuses were not burned? Buy a box of fuses with a tester (about $10) from Autozone or Advance Auto and go at it.

Edit. Fuse Diagram
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=2518&highlight=fuse+diagram

In addition, download a copy of the Owners' Manual at www.fleet.ford.com

Worry about the click sound at the tranny shifter later.

Passenger Compartment Fuse Box
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...allposts&Main=1218023&Search=true#Post1218023

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.
Actaully, I realized I should have posted this in the General help section, but I don't know how to move it to there [if i can] or delete and start over.
Anyway, I did pull all fuses and none were burned, neither were the ones under the hood. The clicking noise is very annoying...I can do without all the other stuff, but the clicking is getting to me!

mochajunkie posted this in the old forums,

"I blew the fuse for the interior lamps once. It made my shifter click whenever I would brake becuase the locking mechanism for the tranny was on the same circuit. But then again it was the same click it always makes when depressing the brake and leaving park. "

You need to change those fuses. In addition, if you can't find this thread in the next few days or so, it means one of the moderators have moved it to the Troubleshooting Forum.

It turned out to be the interior light fuse, like you mentioned. It's strange because I inspected all of them a while back after this problem occured, and I never saw a shorted fuse. I have a feeling it might short again.
Thanks for your help...
Time to move on to my next issue!!

Back