• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

frozen doors???

teamSVTour

Hard-core CEG'er
Just wondering......

Frozen windows are bad enough...but my doors have been pretty bad lately. Granted, it has been abnormally cold here the past couple of weeks (well below freezing) but it seems like out of all the cars here my SVT is the only one that constantly has frozen doors. I didn't seem to have this issue any of the previous couple winters I have owned the car. The driver side is especially bad. I have to pull by the edge of the door pretty darn hard to get it to break free sometimes. It's just aggravating more than anything. Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas on a way to fix it/prevent it? It doesn't look like the felt strips or weatherstripping needs replaced.

Try smearing some petroleum jelly on the weatherstrip that should stop the door from sticking to the weatherstrip.

Just wondering......

Frozen windows are bad enough...but my doors have been pretty bad lately. Granted, it has been abnormally cold here the past couple of weeks (well below freezing) but it seems like out of all the cars here my SVT is the only one that constantly has frozen doors. I didn't seem to have this issue any of the previous couple winters I have owned the car. The driver side is especially bad. I have to pull by the edge of the door pretty darn hard to get it to break free sometimes. It's just aggravating more than anything. Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas on a way to fix it/prevent it? It doesn't look like the felt strips or weatherstripping needs replaced.

I put a little vasline all over the felt strip. I have (had) the same problem and it was extremely bad after I would take it to the carwash! Vasline should do the trick.

Reebs

I put a little vasline all over the felt strip. I have (had) the same problem and it was extremely bad after I would take it to the carwash! Vasline should do the trick.

Reebs

Haha nice! I never thought of that. So Vaseline on the felt eh? Why does that sound perverted :laugh:?

Perverted, maybe! :) But the felt is seriously like glue went water freezes it to the door!

Ive tried the Vaseline trick as well and had good results. Damn rear doors stick all the time on me! You go to open the door and nothing, than when your on the freeway the damn thing comes ajar!:nonono:

If you have a few minutes and a long extension cord, try using a hairdryer on it.

Ha...I thought I was the only one w/ this issue. I almost didn't post a thread on it. I used the Vaseline trick and so far so good :)

Back