• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Your Ideal "R Code" Contour

Realistically, it would have gone something like this:

No sunroof
Rear seat delete
Manual windows
3L w/ SVT cams and Mondy ST220 intake manifold
17" wheels w/ BFG KD tires
larger brakes, front and rear. 2-piston sliders in front and single piston slider in the back
larger oil cooler
mondeo 6 spd or MTX-75 w/ torsen
i like this but i would want to keep even as an option the following:

-ac, my ac is almost never off so i would need this
-power mirrors
-rear seat

Following in the spirit of the 2000R Id think Rara has it pretty to the T.

My altered list of what I think it would have come with (not a wish list)
No sunroof
Rear seat delete
Manual windows
3L w/ SVT cams and SVT intakes
larger brakes, front and rear. 2-piston sliders in front and single piston slider in the back (the last half is mumbo jumbo to me... but deff for the larger part!)
larger (seperate) oil cooler
MTX-75 w/ torsen
Revised exhaust (different resonator maybe)

It would be cool to see it come out white w/ blue interior like the Sn95 cobra R's.

Did it come with Blue interior? What Color Blue, or are you sawing MNB?

MNB and White would nice.

Modified from other peoples lists

Recaro's
Lightened Rear seat (no point in 4 doors with no rear seat) maybe even have the front seat makers make them to match.)
Manual windows (Strap windows)
3L w/ SVT cams and ST intakes (they wouldn't want to do port work to put on SVT intakes these fit nicely)
Larger brakes, front and rear. 2 (or 4) -piston sliders in front and single (or 2) piston slider in the back
Larger (separate) oil cooler
MTX-75 w/ torsen, w/ lighter flywheel
Opened up exhaust including headers.
AC Delete
Overdriven PS and Alt.
Glass hood and trunk
No sunroof
No cruise
Manuel locks
Push button start (believe the 2000 R had that)

I just ment MNB, i think the SN95 R's had black leather.

That's a negatory; the 95 R's had tan cloth, and the 00 R had Black cloth Recaros very similar to the SRD.

And some of you guys are completely forgetting the intent of an "R" code car. Practicality is not a concern; they were intended to be stripped down versions of the regular car that were ready to be converted into real race cars. A lot of you guys are just listing thing that you think would be cool on a street car.

being able to fit wider wheels. supercharged setup would be sick!

no insolation on any of the doors or floor, heck no carpet either or inside door pieces just flat piece with handle and a window handle

i think it would have....
a turbo running at 7lbs. boost with power at 230hp and 218 lbs. tq
larger 2 piston front and rear brakes
lightweight aluminum 17" svt wheels
lightweight crank, flywheel, connecting rods/pistons
6 speed mtx75 with 2.0 lsd and short throw shifter
stiffer struts/shocks with lower spring set-up
upper and lower strut bars
power seat and sunroof removal(regular sport bucket seats inplace)

i think the svts would be sick if they already came like that

3L
Kenny Bell S/C with TMIC and hood scoop
longer wheel base for larger engine compartment and less interior room or smaller trunk
larger brakes
frame rails
AWD
6 speed manual
17" wheels

The only "R" version of this platform would have to be the British Touring Car one of a few years back so that should be the template for the street version as well. It would be okay to have a 3L V6 instead of a hopped up I4 though as the rest of the racer would be streetable as is with the obvious required safety equipment installed as well.
Karl

LOL, you guys are killing me. People complained incessantly about a $55k Cobra R, and what many of you guys are proposing would have been in the same ballpark or higher for a Contour, lol.

Single piston front and two piston rear calipers 13" rotors
Yamaha R6 engine turbo charged
6538 aluminum seats no padding
14" wheels
2 15" strokers in the trunk
f-250 springs
Extra sound damping
True quad exhuast

LOL, you guys are killing me. People complained incessantly about a $55k Cobra R, and what many of you guys are proposing would have been in the same ballpark or higher for a Contour, lol.

I think it'd have to be a Cougar rather than a Contour, personally. That way you really COULD delete the rear seat. :)

I think it'd have to be a Cougar rather than a Contour, personally. That way you really COULD delete the rear seat. :)

The whole concept of an "R" car is to build a race car out of it. Rear seats do in fact get removed from race cars. A friend of mine from Canadia runs a pair of Acura TSX's in Koni Challenge, and they don't have rear seats anymore. Another guy runs a Scooby Legacy, no rear seat, BTCC mondeos didn't have rear seats either. I'm pretty sure none of the DTM cars have rear seats and most of those are based on 4-doors too.

Fixed my wish list...

3.5 L
AWD
*Kenny Bell S/C with TMIC and hood scoop -OR-
*Turbo kit
longer wheel base for larger engine compartment and smaller trunk
larger brakes
frame rails
6 speed manual
17" wheels

The whole concept of an "R" car is to build a race car out of it. Rear seats do in fact get removed from race cars. A friend of mine from Canadia runs a pair of Acura TSX's in Koni Challenge, and they don't have rear seats anymore. Another guy runs a Scooby Legacy, no rear seat, BTCC mondeos didn't have rear seats either. I'm pretty sure none of the DTM cars have rear seats and most of those are based on 4-doors too.

Well, that's true. I suppose I was thinking more along the lines of R cars that still stayed street-friendly, but for a serious track runner, that wouldn't matter.

To be honest, if I knew where I could put it to use, I'd rather someday convert my SE into a race/rally car when it becomes too unruly for daily drivering than sell it for peanuts to some neighborhood kid.

Back