• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My OTC solution...(kinda cheap n easy to DIY)

m4gician

Hard-core CEG'er
Well most of you guys recommend Zaino, or stuff that isn't available OTC to the common man.

Here is what I'm proposing for an entire detail and it's costs

1. Shampoo (Meguiars soft gel wash + sponge + bucket) for about $15
2. Meguairs Cleaner Wax as a good swirl remover + light polish (included above in the $15)
3. Turtle Wax Ice polish or Meguiars Step 2 polish for $15 or $12 respectively
4. Meguairs Mirror Glaze Carnauba Wax.

For a cheap orbital buffer you can get one from $15 to $30 that range from 4inch to 12 inch, all you really need to do is just keep a lot of microfibres and terry cloth buffing cloths.

FOr the rest, follow the detailing instructions (thank you pete :) ).

At a total cost of about $60 - $100 including cloths, rags and that'll wax and buff and polish like 10 to 12 cars. A little more if you don't get that meguairs value bucket. It's all available over the counter. Now if you take the time to do everything it should take you 4 to 6 hours especially the swirl removal and the buffing.

It sounds liek a lot, but if you already have a good wasxh, or a random orbit buffer, than all you need is microfiber or terry cloth towels the cleaner wax and the polish, etc. I know it won't give you the 'professional' look, but for a contique that's 8 to 11 years old, it's the best bang for the buck solution that'll restore the car's look.

The Porter cable can be pricy so another alternative is the Skill version. It's about 40 bucks. Also, pawn shops are a great place to find tools like that. I just saw a professional variable speed (1000-3000 rpm) orbital polisher/sander (big one that looks like a giant grinder) with a wool pad for 50 bucks. I might actually go back and get it.

An "OTC" thread - good idea.

Comments on your list (IMHO):
- The Meguiar's gel smells good, but not the best value.
- Cleaner Wax + Wax + Carnauba -> eh. If you're going to 3-step it, you're better off using a synthetic line like Mother's Reflections line. Or just one-step it with Mother's FX. Probably the best you're going to get OTC.
- Turtle Wax Ice is junk. Very bad reviews from the detailing communities.
- Carnauba is not ideal for daily drivers as there are too many cons associated w/ it over a synthetic
- You missed a very important step which many overlook. Detailing spray. You should follow every wash with it.

Here's my OTC list:
Bucket - Wal-Mart / Target
Mitt - Wal Mart / Target
Shampoo - Meguiar's NXT 64oz for ~$8 (beat that!)
Wax - Mother's FX
QD - Mother's FX? (never tried it)
100% cotton towels, MF towels, etc. - Wal Mart, Target, etc.
Wheel cleaner - anything NON-ACIDIC, ph balanced
Tire dressing - anything water-based, NON-SILICONE w/ petroleum / no petroleum
Glass - Stoner's Invisble Glass
Vinyl - not sure as I have yet to find a water-based product w/ a matte finish OTC
Leather - not sure as I have used a handful of OTC that left the seats shiney which I hate.

This is why I wanted you to chime in pete, the reason I said the meguairs stuff is that because in Canada there is a store that sells a bucket with the sponge, cleaner wax, hot tire shine, and car wash soap for $15. That's a steal if you're looking for quick OTC stuff. I'd like to find NXT for $8 but meh lol. Wal-mart is a good idea for a bunch of cheap rags and cloths especially MF and TC. One thing I would like to know, a good OTC detailer + polish. There are hardly any SYNTHETIC waxes OTC I mean NXT claims to be one but it really sucks as an LSP :p

Ah Pete, thank you for chiming in as I was hoping 'the master' would have something to say. First off I chose the Meguiar's stuff because the sponge, soap, bucket, HOT tire shine and cleaner wax all came in a bucket for about $15 together as opposed to $8 or $9 seperately. Secondly, thanks for the heads up on the polish, i thought there was a reason that even with a sale Turtle Wax ice was still on the shelves. Thirdly, is one stepping it with Mother's FX better than a 3 step? Fourthly, the mother's line I see in stores are basically the mother's '4-step' system which basically starts with wax-precleaner and ends with carnauba.

And finally, i've seen an orbital SANDER on sale for $29.99 from $119.99 because of a close-out sale. Is that good to use? What would I need to convert that to a car waxing/buffing machine?

An "OTC" thread - good idea.

Comments on your list (IMHO):
- The Meguiar's gel smells good, but not the best value.
- Cleaner Wax + Wax + Carnauba -> eh. If you're going to 3-step it, you're better off using a synthetic line like Mother's Reflections line. Or just one-step it with Mother's FX. Probably the best you're going to get OTC.
- Turtle Wax Ice is junk. Very bad reviews from the detailing communities.
- Carnauba is not ideal for daily drivers as there are too many cons associated w/ it over a synthetic
- You missed a very important step which many overlook. Detailing spray. You should follow every wash with it.

Here's my OTC list:
Bucket - Wal-Mart / Target
Mitt - Wal Mart / Target
Shampoo - Meguiar's NXT 64oz for ~$8 (beat that!)
Wax - Mother's FX
QD - Mother's FX? (never tried it)
100% cotton towels, MF towels, etc. - Wal Mart, Target, etc.
Wheel cleaner - anything NON-ACIDIC, ph balanced
Tire dressing - anything water-based, NON-SILICONE w/ petroleum / no petroleum
Glass - Stoner's Invisble Glass
Vinyl - not sure as I have yet to find a water-based product w/ a matte finish OTC
Leather - not sure as I have used a handful of OTC that left the seats shiney which I hate.

will dissagree there, I didn't feel that it cleaned the windows well at all, the Armoral glass cleaner does a great job from my experience
Owning a sign shop, I use some of my prep materials for cleaning. Rapid Prep to remove wax build-up (on the body, not the glass), anything greasy streaking the glass, then Rapid Tac for a final cleaning. It's adhesive-safe, so it won't damage tint. Downside? Tac is about $27/gallon, but you can dilute it down about 3 or 4 to 1. Tac has a lovely vanilla smell too! :) Prep and Tac are specially formulated to be paint-safe, have to leave a clean surface for the vinyl, and are water-based, so they make a great detailing tool.

Rapid Remover is my choice for adhesive removal, and sometimes works on tar and sap.

Any of these can be purchased online from signwarehouse.com and you don't need to be a sign professional.

I realize these aren't OTC, but in my experience they're about the safest (and best) cleaning products around.

Hey also anyone looking for MF towels I just picked up a 24 pack at Costco for $10! Check it out. Mine were yellow BTW.
-tropictour

Me personally I would go with Meg's NXT.
-tropictour

NXT isn't a "polish/paint reviver".

NXT is a paint sealant (synthetic "wax") that protects the paint, NXT does though have the ability to temporairly hide or mask swirl marks. But by no means would NXT be considered a polish.

Polishes are meant to be used before your sealant or wax. They remove old wax, contaminents, oxidation, water spots,etc. They also can reduce the visibility of swirl marks and scratches by rounding over the edges of the scratch so that it does not catch light as well,therefore making it less visible.

I thought this was OTC(on the cheap) NXT is a good all in one that you can find just about anywhere.
-tropictour

OTC stands for "Over The Counter"...As in being a product that you can buy at a brick and mortar type store, as opposed to having to buy it online.

Yes, NXT is an "All-In-One" type product, but the inherent nature of any "All-In-One" type product is that you have compromises. You can't expect an "All-In-One" type product such as NXT to do as good of a job at polishing as a dedicated polish would.

Making your paint look it's best isn't as much about what wax or sealant you put on it, but it is more so about the preparation that goes into getting the surface to be as perfect as possible through using a clay bar, and polishing out imperfections,etc.

Cheap orbitals as someone brought up. Saw this one for $12 last weekend. Crazy!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92194

This one was $30 but says $15 currently.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43424

I bought this one for $20.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45813

I like it because you can turn it on and off. My last one (which disappeared somehow) had a button you had to hold one. Didn't car for that. This one has nice quiet operation and for an extra $5 it comes with a 2 year warranty. If I run over it with a truck they will replace it for free.

Im not a fan of the big ones. I have an 8" right now, and its tough to hit all the narrow or curved areas because the pad is so big.

will dissagree there, I didn't feel that it cleaned the windows well at all, the Armoral glass cleaner does a great job from my experience

You would be the first person I've ever heard say they didn't like Stoners. Personally I think it does a great job, especially on the outside of the windshield. I've also use the ArmorAll glass cleaner and like it as well. I think the Stoners wins out only because its a foam and doesn't run all over the damn place when you spray it on.

Back