• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Carnaubas vs Synthetics

GTO Pete

CEG'er
This thread is not for discussion or questions - please start a new thread.
If you have any personal experiences to contribute regarding carnaubas and synthetics, please do so.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't know what to use? Here are the pros and cons of carnaubas and synthetics to help you choose.

Added to FAQ: Detailing

=Carnauba=

- Pros -
- Color and depth -
The general opinion of detailing "aficianados" is that carnaubas provide more color and depth - a "liquid" appearance to the paint. Carnauba enhances the color of the paint - blacks look blacker, reds look more red. Generally recommended for darker-colored cars.
- "Hides" surface blemishes -
Because carnaubas give a wetter look, they are able to reduce the appearance of swirls and scratches. Example: Look at the surface of your car freshly washed and dried. You can see scratches and swirls fairly easily. Now run the hose on the paint. The scratches ans swirls are harder to see. That's what carnauba is good at - hiding/muting minor scratches and swirls.

- Cons -
- Environmental compliance -
Carnaubas are not environmentally friendly. Due to "recent" U.S. EPA regulations and potentially more in the future, carnuabas are becoming a product of the past due to Volatile Organic Compounds. Some carnaubas have been outright discontinued while most others have had to change their formulas.
- Low durability -
1-2 months maximum for a non-garaged daily-driver. <See below for further details>
- Low melting point -
Carnauba has melting points of 130-180 degrees F. The surface of a car in 85 degree sunlight can reach 200 degrees.
- Low "strength" -
Carnauaba is soft and evaporates making it less resistant to the environment. Every time the vehicle is washed, experiences a hard rain, heavy winds, carnauba is removed.
- No repellency -
Carnauba attracts and holds dust and other particles
- Contain petroleums and oils -
A car with carnauba that is touched may feel oily and leave a greasey streak on the surface. (Synthetics promote/advertise their products with "no oils".)
- Reduced clarity -
Carnauba reduces the optical clarity of the paint and the reflection is "clouded" vs synthetics.
- Cannot be layered -
Tests by detailers have proven that layering carnauba beyond 3-4 coats is a waste of time and money due to diminishing returns. Because carnauaba is soft each coat you apply in effect removes part of the previous coat you applied.
- Application -
Carnaubas cannot be applied in direct sunlight and must be applied in certain temperatures.
- Dusting -
Carnaubas are commonly known to dust when buffed out.

=Synthetics/Polymers=

- Pros -
- Durability -
6 months or longer is not unheard of for a properly applied quality synthetic.
- Repellency -
Unlike carnaubas, synthetics have been scientifically designed for maximum repellency. Synthetics repel dust and other particles.
- High melting point -
350+ degrees F.
- Layering -
Synthetics are designed to be layered. Each layer stacks to provide more protection for your paint.
- Application -
Some synthetics can be applied in direct sunlight and have a greater temperature range in which it can be applied.
- Slickness -
Synthetics provide a slickness that carnauba cannot.
- Application & removal -
Easier to apply and remove than carnauba with virtually no dust.
- Shine / Clarity / "Pop" -
Synthetics are pure and offer greater shine than carnaubas. It sits on top of the paint, allowing the true color and flakes to show.

- Cons -
- Depth/color -
Whereas carnaubas enhance the color of the paint, synthetics do not.
- Shine / Clarity -
Because synthetics enhance the true color and surface of the paint, it does emphasize scratches and swirls making them stand out.

The information above has been compiled from various sites.

Last edited:
- My opinions -
Having tried and tested products from the following companies:
3M, Clearkote, Dupont, Eagle One, Four Star, Klasse, Meguiar's, Meguiar's NXT, Menzerna, Mother's, Optimum, Poor Boy's, P21S, Turtle Wax, Wolfgang, Zaino, Zymol, and others I cannot justify using a carnauba over a synthetic - especially on a non-garaged daily-driver.

- Testing -
I have tested carnauba and synthetic side-by-side on the hoods/roofs of various vehicles (05 GTO, 05 Corolla, 00 CSVT, 97 Explorer) and found the following:
- Carnauba side lasted about 4-6 weeks
- Synthetic side lasted 4-6 months
- Carnuaba side felt oily/greasey when touched by hand
- Synthetic side felt slick and smooth
- Carnauba side left streaks on the surface when touched
- Synthetic side left no streaks on the surface when touched
- Carnauba side attracted dust and particles
- Synthetic side did not attract dust and particles

- Beliefs -
As far as color/depth/shine, I always read carnauba provided better depth and color and synthetics offered better shine. I thought I was doing something wrong or something was wrong with my eyes because I couldn't tell the difference between the two sides. Both sides were shiney and the color difference was negligible. I even had family and friends look at both sides on all the various vehicles and none could say one side had better color than the other. Some did say that they synthetic side appeared more "sparkley". That started reinforcing my belief that carnauba offering better color is a popular belief more than anything.

- Spring Zing 2006 -
I thought for sure that CEGers would vote the carnauba side as better on a black CSVT. I thought Roger would outdo me by topping his side with carnauba vs the synthetic I was using. Upon completion, I couldn't tell any color difference between the two sides. But, the synthetic side was clearer than the carnauba side. Synthetic ended up being favored over the carnauba - even on a dark colored car. SZ 06 has reinforced my belief that carnauba is not better on a dark colored car.

- Conclusion -
I don't get garage queen or fresh paint customers. All of my customers are daily drivers that haven't been washed in months and waxed in years. I would not waste my time and money by putting a carnauba on a daily driver.

After all my testing over the years and personal experiences I'm using nothing but synthetics. As they say, the proof is in the pudding.

HTH

Last edited:
Back