• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Walmart synthetic oil?

I understand that it varies from area to area and from contract to contract, but that currently most of it comes from Warren Petroleum.

Go over to bibistheoilguy.com and poke around. This is a reasonably frequent question over there. It's not bad oil, and most certainly priced well.

Now if I'm over 100k should i use synthetic, high mileage, or regular? I'm not sure if synthetic was ever used on it before.

Super Tech oil is made by Quaker State. (FYI I work at Wal-Mart and read the bulletin about this since I'm in the Automotive/Sporting Goods department.)
Nathan

does it leak or burn oil??? if it dosnt keep running synthetic!

and run it if you beat on your car

It doesn't burn or leak, but i never used synthetic before, and i've had the car for about 2 yrs. Will starting to use synthetic now hurt anything? I've heard different opinions on this.

It is not a problem. Years ago, it was, as group IV base stocks tends to shrink certain seals. Since then they have learned to blend a little bit of certain broup V base stocks to counteract that effect.

More importantly though, the stuff that Wal Mart sells under their own label is group III, and it never had that problem.

As far as it being Quaker State, I understand that in some parts of the country it is Warren and some parts of the country it is something else. Now we know that in some parts of the country it is Quaker State. Either way, it is reasonable oil, certainly a great value.

It doesn't burn or leak, but i never used synthetic before, and i've had the car for about 2 yrs. Will starting to use synthetic now hurt anything? I've heard different opinions on this.

Try it.. if it leaks or burn it switch back.. worse comes to worse you have to change ur oil early:cool:

Easier cold weather starts -- Yes

Free's up horse power -- No

Lasts longer -- Depends on what you mean. You can extend your oil change intervals. The engine will have better protection at EXTREME temperatures (and EXTREME only). The engine will not last any longer than if you use a good dino oil changed every 5,000 miles.

Better Protection -- Only at EXTREME temperatures.

My personal philosophy is that I use the best oil I can find on sale for $2.00 a quart or less. At the minute I have stocked up on Pennzoil Platinum when I found it on sale for $1.99 a quart. Once this oil becomes popular (and it is well on it's way, Shell, the owner of Pennzoil, is buying market share by discounting it so often), I'll have to move on to something else.

I've also read that sometimes, synthetic oil can help reduce gasket/seal leaks as it swells the seals/gaskets. I don't use it so I can't really tell from experience.:eek:

I agree on extended interval changes under normal driving conditions, but compare it to a synth blend I doubt any noticeable changes will even be seen if you adhere to the interal change per your driving habits.
Most oils have the additive for seal life.
I have had oil analysis done between full synthetic and synth blend, changing at the same interval on the same vehicle
Result was both had plenty of life left, and not much difference in the analysis.
Todays oils have come a long way! The only benefit I have seen on a synthetic is when it is used in BMW's and Mercedes, where the ECM actually tracks the drivers habits and compare it to a predetermined table for oil changes. The average interval on a BMW following the service light is around 10 to 12K miles. Here is where a synthetic is above the rest.
Then you get into the discussion that there only a few that are manufactured from pure synthetic PAO's and the rest are a derivititve based on hydro cracked dino oil, it goes on and on and on!
Use a good oil and keep to the change interval for your driving habits you will probably never see any oil related failures.

Last edited:
Easier cold weather starts -- Yes

Free's up horse power -- No

Lasts longer -- Depends on what you mean. You can extend your oil change intervals. The engine will have better protection at EXTREME temperatures (and EXTREME only). The engine will not last any longer than if you use a good dino oil changed every 5,000 miles.

Better Protection -- Only at EXTREME temperatures.

My personal philosophy is that I use the best oil I can find on sale for $2.00 a quart or less. At the minute I have stocked up on Pennzoil Platinum when I found it on sale for $1.99 a quart. Once this oil becomes popular (and it is well on it's way, Shell, the owner of Pennzoil, is buying market share by discounting it so often), I'll have to move on to something else.

Can you define extreame temps? And is super tech good or not...I can't tell sacrasim on the internet. LOL. I am guessing no because of the super cheap price.

Last edited:
Back