• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sick of the Contour?

Sick of the Contour?

• Drive it off a cliff

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Sell it, its got to many problems

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Build it up to be a beast

Votes: 39 44.8%
  • Keep on maintaining it tell i can afford something better.

Votes: 34 39.1%

• Total voters

Tourige

CEG's Resident Jackass
I dont know about most of you, but im really starting to dislike the contour and all the problems that come with them. It seems like it never stops. So just wondering what you guys feel like doing with your cars?

My E0 cost me way too much money to buy, it constantly had alternator/electrical problems, the tranny always acted up after some spirited driving/shifting, and when it was totaled I saw just how little value it has.

Needless to say I'm picking up another one because despite all the problems, it's still a fun car to get around in.

Last edited:
I claim an unfair poll. MY contour hasn't had any problems in the 2 years I've owned it other than the Parking Brake Cables being seized. It hasn't even had little problems with it. Now it has 6 Months on the new drivetrain, about 3k on the tranny, and about 11k on the engine, and it will surely last nicely for another several years.

I dont have many issues with the mystique. Yeah not a contour, but meh. I'll keep maintaining mine till it I am financially able to buy something better.

I can't say I don't like the car.. but I would just rather have RWD with more power :crazy:

My SVT has been reliable as hell (knock on wood!).

i can't wait to get mine back out of the garage in the spring for the good weather ... and i still enjoy driving my mystique daily ...

3 months now in mine with 94k miles on it, and I havn't at any probs yet. tuned it up when I got it and it runs like a champ now, Love'n every bit of it and plan to have it for awhile. The Guy that had it before me had it for 4 years and he said it was a geat car, the only things he had to do was change the alternator, and the Water Pump...

i have had only basic problems. id say under what you would expect for 100,000 miles. mine drives great and has nothing wrong

Sometimes I think I should sell my SVT and buy a more gas saver car, then I remembered I had one of those type of cars before.(Honda Civic 1992)... My brother gave me a great deal on this car and the only problem I've had was the shifter cable breaking, so for the past two years and now with 96k miles on it, I'll keep it till it dies......

10.5 years, 106K miles and still going strong. Will be putting new rear struts and springs the next opportunity I get. The driver seat belt buckle needs to be changed too. Parts are already here (thank you Starjammr and 69Boss302) and just waiting for the right time to be installed.

I consider that normal maintenance for a 10.5 year old car. Vive el Contour. :)

Last edited:
Fortunately I haven't had many problems with mine. Now only if making the svt faster wasn't such trouble. I could sell it and get something else but I think I'd miss it. Gonna keep it around and tinker with it a little more.

Fortunately I haven't had many problems with mine. Now only if making the svt faster wasn't such trouble. I could sell it and get something else but I think I'd miss it. Gonna keep it around and tinker with it a little more.

well look at alot of the people here, they sell their first SVT and at some point later end up with another one for one reason or another ...

All cars have problems. This will be especially apparent on a forum full of young DIYers for a platform that's been out of production for six years -- so they're all old, out of warranty, and nobody is high off the new car fumes.

Objectively speaking I see no evidence that these cars are more problematic than average. My cars are both very strong for their age. Most 12 year old cars don't look and drive as nice as my 95 Contour.

Original owner '99 SVT

Had it for a little over 7yrs and have had almost 0 problems in 79K miles. Under warranty I had a new dash installed, new rear window seal, shift tower replaced. Other than that is been maintenance as usual.

While the squeaks, rattles, and crappy interior fit and fiinsh bug the living **** out of me it's paid for and drives fine. Heres to 4yrs of no car payments!

I voted drive it offa cliff. The insurance money will be a helluva lot more than me trying to sell this POS.

I dont know about most of you, but im really starting to dislike the contour and all the problems that come with them. It seems like it never stops. So just wondering what you guys feel like doing with your cars?

Honestly, shut the **** up and leave the forum. If it isn't you making a post about how sick you are of the car, or how its worthless to mod since you can't put the power to the ground then you are just making stupid or negative comments about how somebody shouldn't even look at an tuner because they didn't type correctly and other such comments. I don't know if there is a way to block specific users posts from being shown for me, but I am going to look into it.

And **** your biased poll too. I enjoy the car and if there was an option for 'Enjoy it since its paid off, preforms well, is problem free (for me anyways) I would have choosen it.

Last edited:
I love my contour and I do have something better ( 03 cobra). But I wouldnt think of getting rid of my LX tour. I plan on keeping my tour until the doors and wheels fall off. Its a great car if you keep up with it. I wish I had the cash to buy the SVT when I bought my car. But good things come to those who wait. Thats why I could buy my cobra.:eek:

... I don't know if there is a way to block specific users posts from being shown for me, but I am going to look into it.

Click User CP top left button. Click Buddy/Ignore list button. All posts for Ignore list will not show up in the threads on your screen. ;)

Back