• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Slant 6

moderndino

CEG'er
Got your attention, huh? I'm ready to mount my engine in my custom frame and need some general measurement help from members. The oil pan is not level relative to the V6 engine in my 95. My question is... if you put a bubble level across the top of the intake manifold, is that level front to back? If you put a bubble level on the belt-side engine mount, is it level front to back? Other than you members, I'd have to ask strangers to open thier hood for me. I'm in my spot because it did not occur to me while pulling the engine out of the donor Contour that the pan would not be level with the ground. Now that I need to establish the axle center relative to the wheel center at rest, I need to orient the engine like it's tilted in the Contour.... then weld my engine mounts in place on the frame.

Your help is appreciated.

Gar

As a general rule of thumb usually the bottom of the oil pan should be level when the engine is installed. The bottom of the oil pan in my CSVT is damn near parallel with the ground side to side and front to back and I believe is just about level with the bottom of the subframe. From front to back (timing cover to flywheel) of the engine (not relative to position in a car) the Duratech is level. As for the level of the engine from side to side (head to head) usually the rear cylinder bank is slightly lower than the front, but I believe most of that angle is determined by what the engine has to fit under.

Last edited:
I've used parked Contours to confirm that the bottom of the pan is not level with the ground. Yes, My sports car is mid engine so it's rear wheel drive. Those that drip oil, drip off the back edge of the pan. Since this isn't level, I thought I'd go for the top of the engine to find a decent reference. That's why the questions regarding the passenger engine mount (since it's right there to see), or the top of the intake manifold. I hope you don't take my project in a poor light, and offer caddy answers. You're the core of Contour owners that share a passion for the car and it's inards, I hope you can extend that enthusism to a fellow owner and builder.

Gar

I'll check on my car today for you while I am at work. I will even try and take some photos. The car will be on a 100% level alignmant rack so the readings will be accurate.

Scott

For the guys who've had their engine sitting on the floor... The engine mount design should exert the force of the engine weight in a straight line through the shock material. As for the driver's side, the forces should hang straight down in line with the big bolt. This is where I was headed, and I had the engine set on a block at the correct height, but when I looked at the stock mounts, they were not level with my frame, nor were they oriented for the weight of the engine. I thought this was odd, and also noted that the rear head is higher than the front head. The reason for this has to be the tilt of the bottom of the oil pan. I'm looking for confirmation. Without it, I'll que off the engine mounts and the bottom of the pan will be tilted down toward the back. Looking at parked cars and seeing this was not totally convinving because I know that rear engine mount is bad in many high mileage cars, and would result in the rear of the engine sagging.

Your observation is appreciated,

Gar

Last edited:
hmm got pics? I want to see!

And yeah I do believe my oil pan maybe be slightly slanted towards the firewall.

Hey I check out your myspace. Looks pretty cool. If those pictures are taken in a larger size (which they probably are because myspace attempts to conserve some bandwidth) post them on photobucket. We will be able to see them in larger size and anyone without a myspace account can see them!

OK I checked with a level on the intake, from side to side the engine sits level in the car, from front to back on the valve cover tops the engine is level in the car, where the oil pan meets the engine block is level. The lower part of the oil pan is angled towards the rear of the car w/drain plug at the back. So basically the engine block is 100% level in the car.

I have a new rear mount and energy suspension front mount inserts so I know there is no motor mount sag.

I fussed over aligning the half shafts with the wheels and tranny today. Also put the A/C compressor back on the engine. I don't want to discover later that something interferes. Right now I have the engine positioned where the mounts are inline with gravity. I don't want to weld things up though until I get a fresh front mount. I already bought a new rear mount since those tear apart fast. With the rear bad, the passenger side mount was shot too. I figured I could reuse the front one, but after seeing it under load today, I ordered one. I want to fill it. Advance Auto had a standard and a solid one listed online, but there were none at the store, nor did my store guy know if he could get either. I ordered at NAPA, $28 insert. I hinted that I wanted a laser line from the kids for Xmas. I used it today for the first time. The rest of the weekend will be used fabricating frame braces and tacking them in.

Back