• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Jeremy Clarkson--The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

I'm not sure what you mean. His whole point was that a highly complicated intersection worked smoothly, there was no conflict like he wanted.

basically. he was trying to point out that our driving is such a joke that we actually brake for people crossing the street. where as in england, i assume, you'll get your arse run over(?) i know you will in paris!

the chrysler rental car you had was a sebring and performance wise, theyre a joke. but theyre not performance cars. just like those little turd taxi cab cars you guys use arent. sebrings verts are strictly for "luxury" crusing and they do very well at just that. ive driven a few with the V6 in them and while it was no 3 series vert, it was pretty nice for what it was, and had decent power.

and finally, i have order parts from SUMMIT a few times. and on a sidenote, i sold a camera to a guy who works for Summit Construction which is owned by the brother of the guy who owns Summit Racing. :crazy:

HEHEHE I like the last quote - and yes your right we are!!!!

Maybe not at grammar, however...:shrug:

i don't understand is why you have little cars with blummin great 5.4litre v8's in them and yet the equivalent car over here with 1.6litre engines are just as quick or even quicker.

Show me a 4000lb. car with a 1.6L engine that's quicker than a GT500.

:laugh:

You poor thing. All of your hyperbole aside, I think the closest thing he put together using "equivalent" cars was the sedan race.
Also unless you're talking about a mountain, never ever use the word summit. Just don't.
And the first thing you said:

Not everyone's like that, but you are apparently. Set your ethnocentrism aside for a few minutes and open your eyes and you'll see that perhaps your continent isn't quite infallible.

That hit a nerve.

Hey just let me tell you this country is SH*T and most brits would leave if they had half the chance. We are known as the Etheopia of Europe and thats why it's so expensive coz the government keep shoving the taxes up to try and pay off the countries debts or SUMMIT like that.

With reference to me saying were all not like that and you saying I am - WTF where did you get that conclusion from. I said it and I mean it.

Maybe you WANNA lighten up a bit, if you have watched every episode of every top gear ever aired you would realise that he takes the P*ss out of every countries cars even our own and if he really didn't like the american cars then why would he own a Ford GT and he is only critical because it boosts the tv ratings.

M9G

Maybe not at grammar, however...:shrug:

Show me a 4000lb. car with a 1.6L engine that's quicker than a GT500.

his comparison didn't really include weight... the reason our (American) cars are that heavy and crap is all the extras and luxury and bling and bullsnot we feel like we need. if Ford had taken their time with the new GT500 and not put in all the extras and trim and maybe actually taken some cues from some racing-experienced people, they could have made it a world-class car. instead they just made it another V8 rumbling-bumbling beast for Americans. for 500+hp, it should be a lot faster than it is, and with the name Shelby on it, it should perform a lot better than it does. that's what this guy is talking about.
remember in the video that exige vs roush race? that's the essence of what he said.
onto the 1.6L engine powering a 4000lb mammoth of a race car; that would never happen, because 4000lb makes for a slug of a car, no matter how much power you put to it. however, if you lighten it up a ton or so, pull ~200-250 from the engine, distribute the weight properly, play with the suspension a bit (and more that isn't said, obviously), you can easily beat the crap outa the GT500, except maybe straight-line.

i don't understand is why you have little cars with blummin great 5.4litre v8's in them and yet the equivalent car over here with 1.6litre engines are just as quick or even quicker. Is it done to burn as much fuel as possible coz it's cheap over there but then restrict the performance of the car,

I think that the main reason for the big engines comes from our muscle car history. Now Americans want that power feel from just hitting the gas. With the small engine you have to get the RPMs up before you take off. It is a different feel and a different sound. The next reason is that to get over 200hp out of a 1.6L you have to invest a lot more money and the engine is working a lot harder. Personally I prefer V6s. Just my 2 cents.

I think that the main reason for the big engines comes from our muscle car history. Now Americans want that power feel from just hitting the gas. With the small engine you have to get the RPMs up before you take off. It is a different feel and a different sound. The next reason is that to get over 200hp out of a 1.6L you have to invest a lot more money and the engine is working a lot harder. Personally I prefer V6s. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with your last statement m8 - i prefer the V6's thats why I have one.

M9G

With reference to me saying were all not like that and you saying I am - WTF where did you get that conclusion from. I said it and I mean it.

You said
Only kiddin not all of us are like that but you got to admit european cars are better

"Not everyone says European cars are better than American cars, but European cars are better than American cars."

Maybe you WANNA lighten up a bit, if you have watched every episode of every top gear ever aired you would realise that he takes the P*ss out of every countries cars even our own and if he really didn't like the american cars then why would he own a Ford GT and he is only critical because it boosts the tv ratings.

Actually he pretty much gushes over every car he drives. He does hate Vauxhall with a passion but for the most part he likes to point out the best in the cars that he drives. And did you watch the episode? He made it very clear that the only American cars he liked were the GT and the Zed-oh-six.

Of which he STILL demolished the "zed" on the street and said it wasn't even worth the time, unless you were on a prepped track.

You said

"Not everyone says European cars are better than American cars, but European cars are better than American cars."

Actually he pretty much gushes over every car he drives. He does hate Vauxhall with a passion but for the most part he likes to point out the best in the cars that he drives. And did you watch the episode? He made it very clear that the only American cars he liked were the GT and the Zed-oh-six.

SO YOUR SAYING HE SHOULD LIKE EVERY AMERICAN CAR THEN?

M9G

Someone give this man a cookie! He ****ing gets it!

Top Gear is a satirical show. It's a comedy. Jeremy Clarkson is a comedian. Now, you might not think he's funny, he is British after all, but don't take anything he says seriously. It's not meant to be.

I can't believe we've actually got people *****ing that the match-up between a Mustang and a horse wasn't fair. It's a god-damned HORSE people!. A Car. Versus. A Horse. It's a JOKE. And just in case you didn't know, so was racing a Miata against a Greyhound, judging the better car by shooting it out of a cannon, judging the better car by how much water you can stick in it and have it hold, and virtually every other segment that Top Gear has ever aired.

On other Forums I've seen people talking about how the Ford GT was the most gas-guzzling vehicle on the planet. Why? Because it "won" Top Gear's Award for "Worst Gas Mileage". Because, in one episode, they constantly showed Clarkson stopping for gas while the other 2 guys waited for him. They didn't mention that the GT had about half the gas tank that the other 2 cars had, or otherwise show the other 2 ever filling up their cars (although they obviously had to). Why? Because it was FUNNY. To win the Award the GT competed against the Buagtti Veyron (which actually IS the most gas-guzzling production vehicle) and a massive oil refinery fire "that burned millions of gallons and didn't move an inch". And people take that seriously! Is the planet populated by ****ing morons or what?

Clarkson makes fun of anything and everything on his show, including himself as a point of character. It's what he's paid to do. If he's critiquing a German car, he's making fun of the Germans. If he's driving an Aussie car, he's targetting the Aussies. If he's driving an American car, the Americans are gonna catch some flak. And, yes, if he's driving a British car (the few that are left) he's raggin' on the British, and usually much harder than anyone given the state of affairs of the British automotive industry (which I think has ben reduced to 6 guys and a garage).

So stop getting your panties in a wad because a comedian made fun of your car, staged a stupid stunt that obviously doesn't weigh any real merit of a car (i.e. water retention or how far it can fly when shot from a cannon), or otherwise insulted your delicate sensibilities.

And I thought the British lacked a sense of humor...

Last edited:
Back