• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Shifter loose HELP

well if theres a step by step guide with pics i can prob figure it out, otherwise i doubt i can do it. do you think its something i need to do soon since it sort of just got worse on my recent car ride(and will get worse) or can i put it off for a little while? I need to be able to drive but I have other things to do than take my car apart.
I would try to get it fixed as soon as you can. not a cool feeling when you go to get a gear and its not there cause the cable end came off:crazy:

here this should help out everyone in this thread!

the part number for the ends are as follows
white f7rz7412aa
black xs8z7412ga

these are for the early style ends.

here this should help out everyone in this thread!

the part number for the ends are as follows
white f7rz7412aa
black xs8z7412ga

these are for the early style ends.

so I need both, and it SHOULD make my shifter nice and tight?

for the price of them just buy both. It should make the shifter nice and tight unless you have some more serious issue at hand.

You wont know you need both or either until you inspect them.

It is highly unlikely that you need the black one.

The only way to get the bushing for the white end it to buy the white end. I strongly recommend that you do not try to change the entire end. Age and heat distorts and warps the white end as well as the black plastic piece that it clamps to. It may be very hard to remove, and once removed, the black part may need to be trimmed to allow the white part to slip into place.

Instead, I recommend that you remove the bushing from the new end and transfer it to the old end. It takes strong thumb pressure but it is doable. Doing this will also save you the pain of trying to adjust the new end.

i've notice when I did my "modification" what the heck are those springs on the cable for? maybe I didn't inspect them close enough but I couldn't find any use for them. don't worry guys I left them on

once the wheels off how does the splash shield remove?

And is there a guide to doing the bushing fix? I checked duratec maintenance stickies but didnt seem to find it. I'm sure it'd be obvious once i get a look at everything but I would still rather follow a guide since I'm not used to working on cars.

there is no "guide/how-to" for this job. you pull the drivers front wheel off and get the car off the ground. I dont think you have to remove anything else but it has been a while since I changed any. The above statement of not taking the ends off is a good thing to think about. They are a pain sometimes but I have never had a huge issue regarding them. Changing just the bushings out is going to make you not have to worry with shifter adjustments and stuff so go that route if you can get the bushings in and out.

someone said not to buy the black one, just the white, but I dont know why. The price is low so unless someone can answer quick I think I will just pick them both up. thanks icy and everyone else, been very helpful

edit: they want $13 for shipping, i thought these things were small? :(

someone said not to buy the black one, just the white, but I dont know why. The price is low so unless someone can answer quick I think I will just pick them both up. thanks icy and everyone else, been very helpful

edit: they want $13 for shipping, i thought these things were small? :(
they are, they do have different shipping options. check them all.

they are, they do have different shipping options. check them all.

i did, fedex ground is cheapest at $13; hell usps priority is $15. I want this thing hand delivered and installed for that price! :laugh:

shipping doesnt change even if i remove one of the items...its kinda bull to have a base shipping cost that high if thats what it is..

I paid 13 bucks for shipping a new battery cable set for the wifes cougar and a small thing for the svt last wek.

I paid 13 bucks for shipping a new battery cable set for the wifes cougar and a small thing for the svt last wek.

im just gonna try and find some other stuff to add to the car...I'll see if they have decent prices on cabin air filters or something.

I'd guess that too. I myself usually check at the local parts house to see what they have or can get relatively quickly.

Back