• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HID price range

A phillips 4800K D4S bulb produces 3800 lumens. (these are mercury free bulbs found in the new LS460)
A phillips 4300K D2S bulb produces 3200 lumens. (OEM)
A phillips 4300K D2R bulb produces 2800 lumens. (OEM)
A phillips 6000K DS2 produces 2400 lumens.
And so on and so forth....The higher the K the less light is produced. (if you just want color why even get hids in the first place)
A Halogen bulb is somewhere in the range of ~1800-2200 lumens.

An OEM setup is the best you can get.
A retrofit using OEM parts is the next best thing.

Just slapping rebased bulbs into your existing housings that were made for halogen bulbs is where the problem's start. A halogen housing is made to utilize the output of a halogen bulb. Putting a bulb that produces 2-3x the amount of light is not going to work very well. Sure you'll get output because the light has to go somewhere but a halogen housing is made to concentrate the light in front of the vehicle. Halogen housings also scatter a lot more light causing glare. Now when your using a halogen bulb thats not really a problem and is acceptable by DOT standards. Putting in the HID bulb is now going to produce a glare that is unsafe for other motorists. If you live in a well lit area this is very annoying, but imagine a winding mountain road. The HID housings are made to effectively use the increased output of the bulb. There is more light directed to the sides of the vehicle as well as the front. The distinct cutoff also stops glare to other motorists. OEM hids also use an auto-level system so that when you go down a hill for example you don't blind everyone on the other side.

Call us HID Nazi's all you want. The results speak for themselves. Have you ever wondered why OEM's equip their cars with Phillips or Denso? They provide the best results for the best cost/reliability. The chinese knockoffs may work fine however there is a reason they are cheaper, and what has been said already....you get what you pay for.

on a side note i saw a new caddy (STS i believe) and the HID's were insane. Amazing color and spread/brightness was fantasitc. Wonder how these projectors compare to the like of TSX,TL,S2000 etc.

on a side note i saw a new caddy (STS i believe) and the HID's were insane. Amazing color and spread/brightness was fantasitc. Wonder how these projectors compare to the like of TSX,TL,S2000 etc.
S2000 has a different projector iirc

the best one is a TL/TSX one..hands down..the spread and intensity of those is just un-matchable..

WhoTF cares... I am 100% satisfied with what I got for cheap, and so are many others. Have fun with your yellow light.

We'll see at SZ. Ill have 4300k and ill have way more color than you will ;)

S2000 has a different projector iirc

the best one is a TL/TSX one..hands down..the spread and intensity of those is just un-matchable..

TL / TSX are decent, not the best. an LS430 has possibly the widest spread of any projector.

Of course the best projectors are the hybrid projectors with lense swaps!

I might be asking a dumb question, but would this kit work with the stock light assembly or will I need to do anything different? If it does work with the stock assembly, do I need to worry about anything melting?

http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=8

Yes it will work and work very well, it is quality equipment right there. You will have glare though as our housing are not made for HID's so expect ppl flashing you every now and then. You do not need anything different or additional. I have the exact same kit. It is plug and play into the stock headlights. Nothing will melt. HID's actually put off less heat b/c they only require 35w. There actually are 50W HID ballasts and bulbs out there but have not shown to really outperform the 35W balasts and bulbs.

One you save some more $ you may want to do a projector retrofit. I am looking into doing this now. If you do choose to do so you will need to buy different bulbs such as a D2S, D2R, etc. but you don't have to worry about that until you find a projector you want etc.

Yes it will work and work very well, it is quality equipment right there. You will have glare though as our housing are not made for HID's so expect ppl flashing you every now and then. You do not need anything different or additional. I have the exact same kit. It is plug and play into the stock headlights. Nothing will melt. HID's actually put off less heat b/c they only require 35w. There actually are 50W HID ballasts and bulbs out there but have not shown to really outperform the 35W balasts and bulbs.

One you save some more $ you may want to do a projector retrofit. I am looking into doing this now. If you do choose to do so you will need to buy different bulbs such as a D2S, D2R, etc. but you don't have to worry about that until you find a projector you want etc.

Thanks for the response. Do you have any pics of your setup? I need some ideas on how and where to mount the ballasts.

So if understand correctly, all the wiring should match up.

yes it is plug and play. You don't need a single other item to work. Install takes about 30 mins really. The one end of the fused wiring harness is the power wire and neg that go straight to your battery the other side of the wiring harness plugs into the ballasts. Then ignitor then also plugs into the ballast. Then you bulbs plug into the ignitor. The bulbs have a very different base on them since they are rebased to fit your 9006 headlamp plus XD uses their own type of plugs to plug the bulb into the ignitor. They work perfectly for the stock headlamp however if you decide that the color is not blue enough and you buy aftermarket or even OEM bulbs (say 5000k), they will almost certainly have a different base such as a D2S base and will not have any plugs in which case you will have to buy a D2S plug/harness that will need to be spliced (cut off the XD plugs coming from the ignitor and splic in the D2S plugs so that it plugs into the socket of your D2S bulbs. Hope that all made sense.

I mounted my ballasts right behind the front "header panel" I believe it is.

You can see the ballast, the ignitor is the rectangle on the bottom, relay is the square beside the ballast.

IMG_1175.jpg

Max strength double sided tape is your friend

Last edited:
Back