• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dangerousy stupid mechanics - a Canadian Tire storyo

enduro

CEG'er
Awhile back I bought an SVT. The PO of the car, had just gotten a new front brake job from Canadian Tire in March 09. The brakes never looked right, but I figured how bad can they really be?

The second time I drive the car yesterday, I hear a loud scraping sound. Great... I'm thinking one of the wheel bearings is shot. Upon inspection, the brake spring had fallen out, trashing both the rotor and the caliper.

The problem was caused by an idiot mechanic that put the wrong calipers E1 on the SVT brackets E0. Using combination of randomly jamming in washers and a grinder, the douche then decided the brakes worked "'good enough".

The brake warranty was of course non transferable. Even worse, the effen pinhead mechanic ruined the SVT brackets by grinding them. I had a spare set of E0 calipers at home but they dont fit anymore.

The PO had spent $771.72 to get what was a worthless - dangerous brake job. I'm now out probably at least $100 more.

In retrospect, I wish i had gone with my instincts and thrown away the Canuck Tire caliper and ruined SVT bracket and just saved the new rotors. But, I'm thankful the brake job didn't ruin my wheel or cause an accident.

Last edited:
Document the issue, get another garage to write up an estimate stating what was done wrong and take Canadian Tire to the cleaners. You could have got into an accident because of them. The least they can do is fix it properly free of charge or reimburse you. Talk to General Manager of the Canadian tire store you had these fixed. If it does not get you anywhere escalate.
I had a dumb ass mechanic strip 2 out 4 studs on my hub and nuts came off holding a wheel by 2 nuts. Lucky I noticed it on time. They were refusing to fix it, wrote a complaint letter and mailed to head quarters with another one I went to manager. Everything was fixed the same day and I got 3 oil changes for free out of it.

Definitely confront the shop about it. If they refuse to make it right, then take it to their District Manager. I'm guessing it will take at least that high up before you get satisfaction. Not only did they do a piss-poor job, they damaged the car and released a DANGEROUS product onto the streets. It could have killed you and others. Make sure you stress this fact with whomever you talk to. If they're smart they'll do right by you.

Well, i complained to the Repair center manager yesterdayand was basically told they could care less. The jist of what the manager said was that : the job was a PITA to do and if the brakes didn't even last 3 days - tough titties. He also contradicted himself first saying they had to do all this extra bracket work and then later denying that they ever "modified" the brackets. The manager was a rude from the get go and got more belligerant and aggressive as the phone call progressed.

On the plus side the brakes werent quite as ruined I originally thought . I might be able to save the rotor.

failedrightbrake-1.jpg

On the drivers side , the spring is just barely hanging on
leftbrake.jpg

Drivers side again. Looks pretty confidence inspiring doesn't it?
leftbrake2.jpg

i've already taken the crappy tire brakes off my car. I put on the SVT brakes that were on my 96 Tour. Pretty easy job, I dont understand could screw it up so bad.

Last edited:
I ordered new calipers last week, picked them up on Saturday. I was expecting a headache so I took my old calipers with me. They brought in 5 caliper sets....some moron boxed ALL the contour calipers wrong!

Glad nobody got hurt!

Looking at the pics you posted I'd say they f-up large. Document everything and build a case. Don't talk to repair shop manager, talk to GM, store manager. Explain everything to him/her, better if you have a meeting in person. Then ask the manager that was dick to you to join you and have him explain. If they are smart they will realize how seriously they f-up. If it fails go to your local TV station, news paper they like stories like that:) Make sure you let them know you’ll do that. That is just plain negligence on their part.

and I already know the issue, the guy at Canadian Tyre ordered parts for E1 brakes, you have E0 brakes, this happens all of the GD time.

When I got pads for my 98.5 (has E1 brakes) I told them exactly what brakes I needed, get them home tear everything down on one side, go to put the pad in... sonofa?????! its an E0 pad set.

Back to autozone! get the right pads, install them good to go right? Nope, the anti squeal plate on the pad fell down and made contact with my rotor, 1000 miles later I have a junked rotor that is about to separate from the hub and only be held on by the brake pads. Had to go back to autozone and bisch at them because my 1 year old Motorcraft rotor was junked, so they replaced it with a cheapo duralast rotor, and forced me to buy the other one.

That story of which ended my relationship with Autozone.

Mechanic was an idiot. That's why they should fix their mistake. Why would you start working on it, let alone modify original parts? If you see you got wrong replacement parts send them back and get the right ones. Cardone, raybestos has rebuild E0 calipers that can be had plain, semiloaded and loaded. All he had to do is order right parts. You just have to know original part numbers from motorcraft.

Ya I would be raising immortal hell with the damn company owner by now over that bs. There is no sense in what they did to that car.

After taking apart the brakes I think the Canuck calipers might actually be the right ones, but the pads and spring are definately wrong. I still dont understand why all the washers were doing between the knuckle - brake
bracket. And WTF they grinded away at the brackets?. I put an EO brake pad in the caliper and it fit perfectly, the Canuck tire pad didnt fit worth a crap. Heres a comparison picture
PadComparison.jpg

The half circle round part on the top of the pad was ground away so it would kinda fit in the caliper. Also, there is no way the spring was the correct one. The spring was identical to the ones I see on regular 98 and up Contours.

brakepadcloseup.jpg

I talked to the store manager and I doubt he's gonna do anything.

To conclude this thread, I talked the store manager a second time. I was told they would reimburse me for the brake parts. He also said the service manger I dealt with " no longer works there".

This week I got a check for $250 from Canuck Tire!!! Overall I would have been happier if the job been done right the first time, but a nice unexpected bonus.

To conclude this thread, I talked the store manager a second time. I was told they would reimburse me for the brake parts. He also said the service manger I dealt with " no longer works there".

This week I got a check for $250 from Canuck Tire!!! Overall I would have been happier if the job been done right the first time, but a nice unexpected bonus.

BONUS! always nice to see someone get retribution. Nice work keeping on them :cool:

That is the thing. When there is a crappy service manager, they are almost always never around for very long. My family went to the same place for our cars for 20 years. The guy then sold the place, and a new manager came in. The experience was so horrible....even the guys who worked there for years were quiting, we said screw it and found a new place. About a year after he was there, they got a new guy. Nice to see they now value your business and want you back!

Back