• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Better Pre-98 Cupholders

BigC

CEG'er
Well, I'm sure everyone has seen my pre-98 console switch panels:
contour03.png

I've had one in the car for over 5 years, and never really missed a cupholder- I had a Wal-Mart cheapo-cupholder hidden inside my armrest compartment and all was well, until... I was on a road trip to a show and I brought a buddy of mine, and we got Large-sized beverages at BK and he managed to spill the drink all over my console and carpet. I had to steam clean the carpet, and basically disassemble the console to clean it all up. I now realize the necessity of cupholders. Now- I didn't want to revert back to Ford's excuse for drink holders, and I did not want to add some tacky Wal-Mart piece from the rice aisle, so I began making this:
armrest01.JPG

armrest02.JPG

armrest03.JPG

The interior is a bit dirty- I apologize. I am in the middle of 3 different Contour projects and I have been busy. Anyway, it's not finished (obviously) but it should be by this weekend. I'll be painting it the same gunmetal gray metallic as my speaker box. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress and pictures, and keep an eye out for a new thread in the Audio section. :D

-Chuck White

Well, I never used it. BUT- this thing has 3/8" thick fiberglass, and is probably durable enough to stand on. So, if I do lean on it (or a passenger does) nothing bad will happen.

Your work looks very good, im glad to see someone do some stuff to a pre98(outside the normal). I can't wait to receive my panel so everything looks a lot better in my car!

Maybe i can persuade you for one of these next? :)

Maybe i can persuade you for one of these next? :)

LOL- I highly doubt it. It's taken me a week to get this far, and I'm still a day or two from paint. I'd like to meet the person who'd pay what I'd charge! Thanks for the comments all!

Ill give you 5 dorra!

Do the sides of the holder go into the armrest? If so, can you still store stuff in it (armrest)

The bottom surface is the same as the normal armrest. The storage space and latch setup remain the same.

oh, so the cupholder has holes in it where the latch from the armrest go into?

armrest02.JPG
and I did not want to add some tacky Wal-Mart piece from the rice aisle, :rolleyes: however the factory arm rest is kinda worthless and so is the cup holder and necessity is the mother of invention

"let me get that out of my arm rest here......oh crap! That 64 oz big gulp is now everywhere!!!" :laugh:

I'd really like to see cup holders molded into the area where the switches are. Just like it was stock on the cougar for certain years. Maybe even two!

2838346598_4c9b71e28d.jpg

PS. I use my 3rd "rear passenger" cup holder all the time. Since I had that stupid armrest built into the seat, and then I switched to SVT seats, It makes that rear cup holder very useful when I get lazy about removing cans from my front two post98 upgraded cup holders.

armrest02.JPG
and I did not want to add some tacky Wal-Mart piece from the rice aisle, :rolleyes: however the factory arm rest is kinda worthless and so is the cup holder and necessity is the mother of invention
I can't tell if this is a complement or an insult. Necessity is the mother of invention- never used the armrest, needed cupholders, and voila.
"let me get that out of my arm rest here......oh crap! That 64 oz big gulp is now everywhere!!!" :laugh:
Well, still an easier mess to clean than in the stock location. The stock cupholders would allow a spill to end up inside and underneath the console, inside the shifter trim, etc.

Besides, give a guy a little credit- I went through all the trouble of making this, and hopefully I'll remember not to open it up. Although, as evidenced by the mess I cleaned up caused by my buddy which brought this whole project on, I cannot be certain. :D

That looks really nice. How does the gunmetal paint look against the stock grayish/black consol trim?

I haven't checked yet. But I see where you're going. I might repaint the console trim to match if they are too conflicting.

EDIT: By the way, for those of you wondering why I didn't try to match the console trim, it's because I used the paint left from painting my box:
Contour11small.jpg

And I chose that color because the color is very close to the color of gunmetal/polished wheels I've had my eye on.

I can't tell if this is a complement or an insult. Necessity is the mother of invention- never used the armrest, needed cupholders, and voila.

don't be to offended , I can dig the need for the cup holder but the steering wheel cover and such not so much . to each their own

don't be to offended , I can dig the need for the cup holder but the steering wheel cover and such not so much . to each their own
coming from the one who has quad exhaust :laugh:

Dont be offended one bit.............

Back