• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Radiator bottle replacement

OB1

Hard-core CEG'er
I'm repairing a wrecked contour & was wondering if anyone knew anything about replacing the bottles on the side of them. They looked to be crimped on & I'm sure there is a tool or pair of pliers that I need to find to uncrimp them. The two tabs that stick up into the core support are broken off the plastic bottles, but i have some extra bottles lying around that I was going to try to stick on. Is there some type of epoxy that you should use on these as well? I can get some pics later but I was just looking into this before buying a radiator.

Everybody I've talked to in detail about these style radiators (which are common -- the Taurus SHO had the same setup) indicates that they're not worth fixing. While the core could be rebuilt, I've not come across anybody who wanted to tangle with the end tanks. Me? I'd just scare up a new one.

I've been reading that in all of my searching but the thing is that I have everything in front of mr to try this out & if it doesn't work then I'll just find another radiator then. I guess I don't have everything b/c i don't have the pliers or whatever for uncrimping/crimping.

with jweld you can make tabs too!

Do you work for JB weld or something? :) I really don't want to patch it. I want to replace the bottles on the side of the radiator or get another. I'll post pics so everyone will know what i'm trying to say b/c my radiator terminology is lacking.

This is a pic of what I'm talking about!
General google pic.

Cooling-Radiator.gif

The bottles or outer/inner tanks come off of the radiator core. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience w/ this. I read somewhere that the Ford radiators were considered "throw aways" but if you do try it to use a sealer. I still don't know what type of sealer. There has to be some type of tool to use to uncrimp these things as well, so that you don't break the outer tanks!
Any help?

I really don't want to patch it. I want to replace the bottles on the side of the radiator or get another.
Get another - preferably with metal side tanks. After replacing plastic radiators twice in a Ranger I used to have I finally found an all metal one and never had problems with leaking side tanks or seals ever again.
Karl

Get another - preferably with metal side tanks. After replacing plastic radiators twice in a Ranger I used to have I finally found an all metal one and never had problems with leaking side tanks or seals ever again.
Karl

Since when did Ford make SVT rads. with metal end tanks?:help: I bought an SVT rad. from a yard in FL years ago. $100 shipped.

The o-ring shown in pic is what seals the plastic end tank. Very hard to find them alone new, they wanna sell the whole radiator. I have pulled the tanks before with a screwdriver carefully lifting the tabs, then use visegrips CAREFUL to bend tabs back down. Core aluminum, don't bend tabs out more than necessary, those tabs break off easy. I used a really dense silicone seal that was intended as a gasket maker. You need something maybe a little flexible there as temp moves things around a little. Hard epoxy may come loose after a few heat cycles. Use the old o-ring CLEANED up to take up space and add body to support the silicone, which may not work by itself. Groove in tank and aluminum core must be CLEAN. The one I did lasted for a long time on a Tempo.

If you shop around you might be able to find a radiator shop that is comfortable changing the end tanks. A few years ago I had a cracked tank on a Mazda to get fixed for a neighbor and one of the local radiator shops had no trouble fixing it.

Many shops don't want to fool with it though.

They didn't. Neither did they make an all metal one for my Ranger. I got mine from Pep Boys.:cool:
Karl
I just wanted to add that this was one of the only times I ever veered from using an OEM Ford part which I usually recommend. I replaced the radiator twice with a Ford part from the dealer but they didn't last (plastic tanks) so I went with aftermarket and didn't have any more problems. Maybe it was because of the many miles on the truck. I don't know. :shrug:
Karl

Back