• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

To those with full 3L's...

99Mystique ATX

Hard-core CEG'er
What are you running for an intake setup? Right now i've got the stock rubber tube with the IAC and rear VC breather plugged running to a KKM MAF adaptor and K&N RU-3530. Looking at my intake temps with the livewire i'm seeing IAT readings of 100-110 on cool nights cruising around which is absurd.

I've been looking for different setups and have a few ideas, just wondering what everyone else has done. Maybe there's a hose that'll allow me to go from the TB to the MAF and back to the stock SVT airbox?

lightning airbox fer' the win!

on a 76 degree day when dyno tuning, i believe i was only 8 degrees over ambient according to IAT. of course thats with the fans blowing on the front of the car, and my airbox pulls air from teh front of the engine bay.

i know joey's(npg) intake setup is for 2.5 intakes, but has anyone asked if he could fab one into the fender for a true cold air setup?

pretty sure it will work, just need a 45 degree connector and some more pipe to get to the tb ...

I have the NPG pipe on the way for my full 3l with a 45 degree connector. I'll see how that works in a few days.

Right now however I am using a aem short ram intake. On summer days my intake temps are reaching 150 degrees. :(

wow, I had no idea it was this big of a problem, no wonder my car is becoming gutless after the engine comes to temp.

I'm going to plug in the X3 today while I run some errands and see how hot mine is getting with an svt air box and a fender snorkle to the fog light opening.

I doubt its working very well, since the power takes a dump after the engine comes to temp on a hot day though, but I hope it's not 150 friggin degrees.

whats a good IAT reading?

Well considering I have an intake that takes air from the engine bay. AND I live in phx where its been 110 degress for the past few weeks. So I don't think your IAT is as hot as mine.

P1010098-1-1.jpg

sounds like there is another issue kaos .... while running I never got much over 110 degrees on a 90 degree day with a 3l turbo. maybe saw 130 while sitting and idling.

I have data logged before, open kkm to kkm with pud heatshield and the shield works. without it the intake temps would spike taking off from a stop and didn't come down on the highway like they did with the heatshield.

you might notice some difference on a hit day but it shouldn't be that noticable. and with a stock svt intake and snokle it should be bad at all, you have other issues.

ok thanks guys, yeah, it's falling on its face after it comes to temp. it has been in the 100 degree neighborhood around here though, thats why I thought this might be relevant. I'm beginning more and more to believe it's just the tune though. I need to try to data log the thing.

I'm going to plug in the X3 today while I run some errands and see how hot mine is getting with an svt air box and a fender snorkle to the fog light opening.

whats a good IAT reading?

Are you using a stock SVT intake tube as well or something aftermarket? When I went to use my SVT airbox and stock tube the rubber tube was way too long...

Good IAT... Let's put it this way, the closer to ambient temp you are the better... Well, ideally we have it well below ambient but that's neither hear nor there... ;)

yeah, I've got the stock svt crinkle tube, it's not at all too long though. only thing that isn't svt is that the fender snorkle has been replaced with all sorts of crazy junk to get a full 3" run from the fog light opening. use of hammers and grinders was included....

I'd like to know what setup is required to use a Pud heat shield with a full 3L.... been sitting for a long time.

I'd like to know what setup is required to use a Pud heat shield with a full 3L.... been sitting for a long time.

not sure that you can because of the angle of the tb? I would put the box/filter/maf in and see what angle to get from the maf to the tb and see what you can get to put it together.

Installed the NPG cold air pipe today. Took some time but it fit pretty darn well. A lot of cutting was involved though.

My intake is using part of the AEM short ram intake, then goes to the maf and maf addapter and then finally the cold air pipe. I had to cap off two holes becouse they are no longer used in full 04-05 3l engines. The difference is amazing. It was 109 and it felt really strong when I went out to test it. The intake is a LOT quiter then my AEM short ram. But thats a good thing ,it was crazy loud.

P1010139.jpg

P1010138.jpg

lol, the kkm on my SVT with the pud heatshield is still pretty loud, loud enough that my friend could hear it over the phone and she was impressed :laugh:

Nice - any way to keep the engine from sucking up water? I'm very interested in that setup... but as most of you know, it killed a 3L.

EDIT - I just saw that it comes with the filter and MAF adapter... which I already have. Wonder if they could shoot me a price on just the tubing and plastic connector...

Back