• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

E-Brake Cables Anyone Changed Them?

goleafsgo_21

New CEG'er
I need to change my e-brake cables to pass a certification. I was wondering if anyone has done this and where did you get the cables from. I see Canadian Tire has cables listed for $28 a piece but it says that they are for models with drums and I have discs in the rear. Ford sells the cables but they want $121 each for them.

rockauto.com has them for like $30 + shipping

X2. Get them from rock auto. Changing them out really isn't a bad job, it just takes a while because you have to drop your exhaust, heat shield, and I think that I remember having to take the center console out and unbolting the e-brake lever. It took me about 3 hours with a trip to the store in the middle. Here's a tip, have a set of bolt cutters on hand, because mine were frozen and had 'self adjusted' themselves to the point where full engagement was not applying any force, so consequently, I didn't have any travel on the bracket arm to release the ball at the end of the cord. This is where the bolt cutters come in handy, to release the tension in the frozen cable.

Well, I actually just remembered about Napa they can get them for me tomorrow at $60 a cable. Although Rock Auto is $30 a cable the shipping is pretty pricey and if I get hit by a surprise customs charge it will probably cost the same amount.

The calipers that were on the car before had springs that helped the arm for the parking brake move back. My new calipers did not have these springs. Are these needed to release the parking brake. Or will I just be okay with the new e-brake cables.

Also I have a picture of my Parking Brake Lever and the main wire is falling off to the side where it is supposed to wrap around the circle. I don't see anyway that this could stay on there unless I am missing a piece of my lever.

DSCF2373-2.jpg

Sorry, not sure how to edit. I had to put that bolt in there because where the end of the cable hooks in. The metal piece at the end keeps popping out.

Well, I actually just remembered about Napa they can get them for me tomorrow at $60 a cable. Although Rock Auto is $30 a cable the shipping is pretty pricey and if I get hit by a surprise customs charge it will probably cost the same amount.

The calipers that were on the car before had springs that helped the arm for the parking brake move back. My new calipers did not have these springs. Are these needed to release the parking brake. Or will I just be okay with the new e-brake cables.

Also I have a picture of my Parking Brake Lever and the main wire is falling off to the side where it is supposed to wrap around the circle. I don't see anyway that this could stay on there unless I am missing a piece of my lever.

DSCF2373-2.jpg

NAPA RIP off alert... $25 to $30 for premium cables local. Auto Spot, KAR, Cawthra Automotive call these guys and don't settle for anything more than that. Gaggle for it, most shops will sell you for garage price. Got them few months back.

It also looks like you need a main cable with equalizer bracket. That one should be up to $45.

Is it expensive or labour intestive to re-adjust the e-Brake cable.. my SVT hand brake is almost done and i need to know thanks!

They are self-adjusting, so if they don't work, you probably need to replace them. It's not overly hard to do, but takes some time, as you've got to remove the exhaust heat shield and cat-back (if you're like me).

When I did them I never dropped exhaust. Just the shields. Didn't remove the center console either.

When I did them I never dropped exhaust. Just the shields. Didn't remove the center console either.

I needed to align my exhaust better, and just wanted to fire it up with the open y-pipe for grins and giggles. You can definitely do it without removing the exhaust.

Don't need to drop the exhaust. Pull apart the two heat shields that are pinned together (the two that you need to remove) and you can spin them right around the exhaust. Also, avoid Dorman e-brake cables. I bought two on RockAuto, went to install them, and even with the SAME part numbers, the two cables were different. Required much modification :mad:

EDIT: Heat shields are bolted on via 24mm nuts.

FWIW - my local mechanic quoted me $350 to replace the parking cables and the little calipers (mine were seized). It sounds like there's quite a bit of labour involved so this price isn't too bad.

Back