• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The svt contour on C&D television back in 1999!

skunk

Veteran CEG'er
that clip always got me, it seemed pretty clear the SVT was the hands down winner, but car and driver just couldn't list a ford as #1

svt contour: cheapest, quickest, best performing in all aspects.

bmw: "disappointing"

and the bmw places ahead of the contour, amazing! :shrug:

Notice that it doesnt have a sunroof and if you look inside when the guy is talking you will notice it has a center dome light.

I mention this because there was just a thread talking about what year did a sunroofless SVT have the center dome lights.

Wasn't Car & Driver also the magazine that compared an Acura to some other cars but only won because "It's cooler to tell your neighbor it's an Acura."

Wasn't Car & Driver also the magazine that compared an Acura to some other cars but only won because "It's cooler to tell your neighbor it's an Acura."

yeah this is basically what this test came down to, you know they couldn't reason placing a Ford that was cheaper then all the other cars in 1st place.

Notice that it doesnt have a sunroof and if you look inside when the guy is talking you will notice it has a center dome light.

I mention this because there was just a thread talking about what year did a sunroofless SVT have the center dome lights.

Watch this video, notice the center console at 0:59.

svt contour: cheapest, quickest, best performing in all aspects.

bmw: "disappointing"

and the bmw places ahead of the contour, amazing! :shrug:

They also tested with a 323i (170 hp), with all base options, which was the lowest model offered by BMW at the time. Throw it against the 328i (193 hp) Sport of the same year, it would have been a closer match in power and handling.

That test was like comparing a Contour SE to an SVT. 30 hp difference and obvious suspension differences.

Watch this video, notice the center console at 0:59.

I'm not seeing what you're seeing. Other than no sunroof and centered dome light the interior looks just like mine:shrug:

Or perhaps your referencing one of the SHO vids.

I would have to agree, sounds like the SVTC should have won, but with the blue oval and low price they just couldn't let it.:blackeye:

I'm not seeing what you're seeing. Other than no sunroof and centered dome light the interior looks just like mine:shrug:

He's talking about the Ford promo video for the 98 SVT. He just never bothered to include the actual link. :shrug:

It has a Pre-98 console.

and lets not forget the 95 promo video on youtube also ... thats a good watch also. but I don't have the link at the second. I do belive it was uploaded by the same person that uploaded the C&D clip

Back