• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How far have you driven on E?

Berkel

Hard-core CEG'er
I think my gas meter has aids.

I drove on E for three days straight, to where the needle was far past the line. I filled it up today and topped it off at 13.5gallons, which means I still had another gallon in there :crazy:

I always assumed once the light came on you had about 25 miles before empty..

hmm.... interesting.

thats being very conservative, if you dont ride it hard and keep the secondaries closed i think i could get a lot more than 50 miles, but even with AAA i dont want to be left stranded

I'm thinking of the Seinfeld test-drive episode :grin:

I never like to go that low ... I made it only twice to the point where the gas light came on (in the Contour) and from there I drove three miles to the gas station.

Good post I've always wondered tha same thing. I fill up when it hits the E line and it usually takes 11 gallons. That means I still have around 3 gallons in there! My SE was never like that. I think I'm going to drive longer on E. At least until the light comes on.

I always assumed once the light came on you had about 25 miles before empty..
hmm.... interesting.

It was 50 on the Cougar. Or did you mod your car so much that you lost that functionality? heh

I rarely get down to E. I usually refill when I'm a little below a quarter tank.

in the 99 i think I have gotten about 40 miles after the light has come on ...

on my 95 I have had it sit in the red for awhile, I don't like doing that but again I think 40 miles is reasonable, Think I am just hitting 13 gal on the fill up if I wait that long ...

I assume that all manufacturers do this and if they didn't, we would constantly see cars along the side of the road out of gas. :)

You know that its illegal to do drugs and drive correct?
Driving on E, is something that shouldn't be talked about on a car forum.

I drove 20 miles with the light on. Clover leafs, or on a long right turn, the fuel pump goes a wee bit dry, sputters out, kinda fun, you should try it at least once.... then it kicks back in. You know youre low at that moment.

The CDW pump DOES USE the fuel to cool itself. Besides that, running THAT low on fuel is also going to help clog your sock filter, etc.

Just fill up earlier, folks. You're GONNA spend it all on gas ANYWAY, you may as well do it in two seperate 1/2 tank fills than in one full tank.. same price, and peace of mind.. what's not to love?

Back