• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Very old AC problem

trhlz1222

Veteran CEG'er
well i havent had ac for a long time. i checked the refrigent today and the lowside is around 40-45psi. i dont have an adapter to measure highside. i tried checking the relays with a screw driver to listen for clicking but i cant hear ???? over the motor or exhaust. its blowing air but its not cold. is the compressor located at the bottom of the motor and you have to remove the right front wheel to get access to it to remove it?? if so i did that last summer to check the gap and what not and i noticed that it looked as if the thing hadnt spun in forever. where does the compressor plug in so i can check to make sure its plugged in? does the accumulator have anything to do with this? and how do i go about blowing out the condensor or whatever it is people say should be cleaned out next to the radiator to try and help??? i would rather start with the smallest thing and work my way to replacing parts.

not a lotta a/c pros on here. i'm not, sorry. what i do know is that, to thoroughly clean the condenser, u need to remove it from the bottom. takes about an hour plus. as for the compressor, i dont know where the electrical connection is, but i imagine if u looked around, u'll find it.

compressor is plugged in....if its blowing warm air would the condensor or accumulator really have anything to do with it or should i replace the relay in case its not working and if that doesnt fix it take the compressor apart and check the gap on it?

to bypass the switch i just jump the hot side to the switch side with a wire correct? and this is all on top of the accumulator?? and this should make the compressor cycle??

yes a clutch air gap that is to large will cause the compressor to not engage. I also believe it will make it work ok at first but not later.

from the volvo how-to that has been posted its one bolt to remove the clutch and then you file down or replace the washer to set the air gap.

If you take the washer out and put your old clutch back on it will cycle the compressor but all the time. I tried for hours to get the "proper" gap and I still couldn't get it so I replaced the entire unit and my system was empty anyway.

well my system says right now it has the proper amount in it. just the compressor wont cycle on. if i just remove the washer then ill know if its electrical right or would connecting those two switches be easier?

i measured that gap and it is .58 mm. should i take it apart and shave some off to make it smaller?? i also ran a wire from one plug on the switch to the other on the accumulator to see if it would clutch would engage and nothing. so either its way too low or its electrical.

Back