• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help with connecting rod...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamisano

CEG'er
Hey all, before I start putting the bottom end of my 3.0 together I have an urgent question about my connecting rods. Please see the attached images at what appears to be either corrosion or chipping of the rod. Any thoughts? If the rod is shot then I consider my 3.0 project canceled :nonono:

rod.jpg

rod-closeup.jpg

OHH! The 3L rods are powered metal like the 2.5's correct? if so I wouldn't risk it, I'm sure someone has a set of used 3L rods laying around.

just like Terry Haines was saying... once the skin of the powder metal parts is compromised.. the strength is lost. ..G.

Is only one rod like this or all six? Your original post isn't clear on this.

Looks like a forging defect to me. Double check the part numbers, but you should be able to use the ones Todd wants to send.

I was banned when this came up, and I PM'd the OP about his rods probably being screwed, but I have a complete 2.5 bottom end thats in great shape that I'd sell for not much at all.

Forged? i thought the rods where powdered metal?

http://www.metaldyne.com/metaldyne/sections/engine/prod_pmConnectingRod.aspx

How do you think they get the powdered metal to stick together to make a connecting rod instead of a pile of metal powder?

Haha, no ????, looks like Rara should change his title to "meester doesn't know it all"

my rods are available if tod's fall through

I swear to god, you are so lucky I don't ban people just because they are idiots. I am getting very close to breaking my own rule though.

http://www.metaldyne.com/metaldyne/sections/engine/prod_pmConnectingRod.aspx

How do you think they get the powdered metal to stick together to make a connecting rod instead of a pile of metal powder?

I swear to god, you are so lucky I don't ban people just because they are idiots. I am getting very close to breaking my own rule though.

sorry....

but isn't it called sintering, not forging? even says so at the top...

unless your trying to call the compression phase between the heatings press forging?

you cant "forge" powder metal

sorry....

unless your trying to call the compression phase between the heatings press forging?

You do know that RARA is a materials engineer don't you?

Here is some interesting information from the Contour SVT booklet I picked up from the dealer when I bought my Contour SVT.

Forged Rods, Aluminum-Alloy Pistons

The connecting rods are sinter-forged components. They are made from powdered metal that is compacted into the rough shape of a connecting rod and then "hot-struck" a 1,024 degrees Celsius in a 600-ton press.After forging, the rod big ends are mechanically fracture-split to create the bearing caps. Due to the irregular interlocking surface along the fracture line, a Duratec bearing cap and rod can be reassembled only one way, ensuring an exact fit and making the entire bearing cap assembly especially strong.

and in a caption belog a picture a little further down the page

Above: A sinter-forged alloy connecting rod being formed.

sorry....

And from the on-line Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

forge: 1 a: to form (as metal) by heating and hammering, b: to form (metal) by a mechanical or or hydraulic press with or without heat

You really need to learn how to pick your battles, unless you like tilting windmills.

sorry....

Seriously, have you ever been right? even once in your life? Because it sure doesn't show on this forum.

You do know that RARA is a materials engineer don't you?

nope, didn't know that. though I have a 22 year old friend thats a materials engineer for the airforce, it's interesting work...

Here is some interesting information from the Contour SVT booklet I picked up from the dealer when I bought my Contour SVT.

Forged Rods, Aluminum-Alloy Pistons

The connecting rods are sinter-forged components. They are made from powdered metal that is compacted into the rough shape of a connecting rod and then "hot-struck" a 1,024 degrees Celsius in a 600-ton press.After forging, the rod big ends are mechanically fracture-split to create the bearing caps. Due to the irregular interlocking surface along the fracture line, a Duratec bearing cap and rod can be reassembled only one way, ensuring an exact fit and making the entire bearing cap assembly especially strong.

and in a caption belog a picture a little further down the page

Above: A sinter-forged alloy connecting rod being formed.

yeah, I'm seeing people use the term forged in place of sintered a lot, just like a torsen "LSD" when it is instead an ABT or "helical" diff.

my point is the rods weren't worked out from an ingot of alloy, they were pressed together granules.

nope, didn't know that. though I have a 22 year old friend thats a materials engineer for the airforce, it's interesting work...

Not technically a materials engineer, but I am an automotive engineer and materials is a large part of what I do these days. There are several million vehicles on the road today using parts that I have designed. Either in the braking system or in the engine.

yeah, I'm seeing people use the term forged in place of sintered a lot, just like a torsen "LSD" when it is instead an ABT or "helical" diff.

First, its ATB not ABT, and it is not mutually exclusive from the "LSD" descriptor. Limited slip simply means there is some method of limiting the slip of the less loaded tire than the other. ATB is simply one of the various design methodologies to make a limited slip diff. In summary, your analagy, just like everything else you post, is wrong.

my point is the rods weren't worked out from an ingot of alloy, they were pressed together granules.

WTF does it matter? Its still a forging process involved. Nobody cares if you are all excited about whether it started as one piece or many.

I'm really getting sick of you, seriously. You come in here, posting like you know everything, ignore advice even after you've specifically asked for it, then you blow your stuff up, and blame other people for it because they didn't figure everything out for you and hand it to you on a silver platter (on a side note, Dom from FCO and I haven't seen eye to eye on just about anything for many years, but I'm pretty sure we both feel the same way about you) then you come back, asking for advice again, and blow off all the knowledgable advice again. Then you continue to call people wrong about things you admittedly know nothing about, when the other people are experienced auto industry professionals with first-hand knowledge and experience with the topic(s) at hand.

You are an idiot, and further you are the worst kind of idiot, one that is arrogant and obnoxious about being an idiot, and even refuses to concede when shown to be wrong. Please never ever go into a profession where people's lives are at stake. In my line of work, its usually someone like you that is the root cause of a massive safety recall, where millions of dollars are wasted, and sometimes even lives are lost.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back