• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I'm back...

96MystiqueGS

Veteran CEG'er
with an SVT!

I've been gone for a while while I had some things to deal with, but I am back. I'm in the process of moving into my own apartment, going to take a while to get that straightened out.

On to the new car! I just paid for her this afternoon. She is a 99 SVT Contour. She has some damage from an accident, but nothing too bad. The front bumper has minor damage on the passenger side (but still has the mesh), the windshield has a crack and the gas door has been ripped out. The passenger corner of the rear bumper had been ripped off and there is damage to the rear quarter under the tail light.

I am going to be using the bumpers from my yellow Contour. Those who attened the Harry's meet should remember the paint runs....

The guy who I bought the car came down on the price and got me a deal on towing. The car is all the way out in Mount Pleasant, 257 miles from where I am in Wilkes Barre. I made the journey out there this morning and got there around 2:00, about 4 hours or so. The car will be delivered in a few days so I will be sure to post pictures.

For now, here are the pictures from the online ad....

Attachments

• back1.jpg
    back1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 0
  • back2.jpg
    back2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 0
  • backdamage.jpg
    backdamage.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 0
  • front1.jpg
    front1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 0
  • front2.jpg
    front2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 0
Cool! You're handy and will have the SVT looking much better in no time.
Congrats on the SVT and the new apartment. :)

I guess you have been busy.

I hope your brother coming along also. See you soon.

welcome back...its all good i'm sure you'll be able to find a bumper soon enough. i like it! how much did you pick it up for, if you don't mind me asking?

He has a bumper already Joe. James picked it up from Harry's a while back.
Right now it's on his yellow Contour, painted yellow. ;)

Maybe when I get back to PA I will try and see this. Someone else near me in NEPA has a SVT! Woo hoo! Although I'm on the other side of the mountain.

Actually, I drove out to Cincinatti a while ago for the bumper. Correct, it is from the yellow Contour, but the yellow Contour is in the junkyard. I'm in the process of sanding down the spare svt bumpers for when the car arrives. I do need a new SVT air box, some :mad::mad::mad: cut holes in it.

welcome back...its all good i'm sure you'll be able to find a bumper soon enough. i like it! how much did you pick it up for, if you don't mind me asking?

I picked it up for about $1500 shipped across the state. The replacement bumper is half done and will be on the car as soon as it arrives.

dang it..i should have known...either way its friggin sweet. and i'm sure he'll get it together real soon...BTW i want your wing!:shrug:

Well, just got back from the junkyard. I picked up an SVT air box with K&N filter and SVT accordion tube for $10, no, I didn't jack it. They guy must not have known what I had.

Well, I did cheat a little. I only knew it was there because it was off of the car I junked in February (don't worry, not an SVT). I never got the chance to grab the air box before I junked the car. I assumed that the junkyard wasn't "u-pull it" and that they'd charge too much to get it back. Turns out it is a U-Pull It and he said $10. After he gave me my change he said "Do you know how much that would have cost brand new?" and I just laughed. He thought it was a stock Contour Se or LX air box. I said back to him "Yeah....I do." and left.

All I need now is a windshield, 2 tires and a tan leather back seat and I should be good to go. Maybe I'll have the SVT done in time for the meet...I hope so.

Wait, what happened to the SVT bumper that you got at Harry's the day?
Was that one supposed go on Tony's Mystique?
I do now recall that you went to OH to get a bumper.

After 6 days of waiting my SVT should be here tomorrow! "Ted" the tow truck driver called this afternoon and told me he should be here around 10AM.....so tempting to call off of work....

It seems like it has taken forever to get this car here. I was told it would be here within 3 days. Then they couldn't find a truck for 3 days. Then they were going to tow it 257 miles on a sling.... It seems like I have had to jump through hoops to get it here. I complained for the 99th time and the dispatcher said she would line up a flatbed for me. I can only hope.

If the car makes it here in one piece, let alone at all, I will post up some better pictures.

The car finally got here! It came while I was in work so I faked sick and left early. I got the broken rear bumper off, fixed the sunroof with a new motor, replaced the gas door and replaced the air filter housing with one that doesn't have a huge hole cut in it.

Still have plenty of body work to do and a new windshield to get. I am going to have to call around for some quotes on the body work. The extension panel (the panel the trunk lock cylinder is in) will need to be replaced or fixed and some body work just under it. I had the extension panel replaced on my 96 Mystique and it ran about 400 with paint I believe. I'm not going to have it painted just yet. I am going to have the body work done and then have it primed. I am going to rattle can it until I can get the paint done.

Pictures will follow when I get back with my ramps.

The car finally got here! It came while I was in work so I faked sick and left early. I got the broken rear bumper off, fixed the sunroof with a new motor, replaced the gas door and replaced the air filter housing with one that doesn't have a huge hole cut in it.

Still have plenty of body work to do and a new windshield to get. I am going to have to call around for some quotes on the body work. The extension panel (the panel the trunk lock cylinder is in) will need to be replaced or fixed and some body work just under it. I had the extension panel replaced on my 96 Mystique and it ran about 400 with paint I believe. I'm not going to have it painted just yet. I am going to have the body work done and then have it primed. I am going to rattle can it until I can get the paint done.

Pictures will follow when I get back with my ramps.

If you need a hand, I'm only about 15 minutes away from you. I get pretty bored on the weekends during the day so PM me if you want.:cool:

If you need a hand, I'm only about 15 minutes away from you. I get pretty bored on the weekends during the day so PM me if you want.:cool:

I just may take you up on that some time. As of right now I am just pulling the bad parts off and I am going to try to clear up some rust. Until this thing gets fixed 100% I can't even register it, according to the title. Once I fix the car I have to find an "Enhanced Inspection Center" to then get the inspection, registration and new title, or so I am told. I am going to have to do my homework.

What is left to make her legal:

Windshield
2 tires in the back
Body work in the back
I have yet to check the brakes

Other things left:

Radio - have one to install
Sunroof motor cover - need to find a nice tan one
Rear leather seat - tan, need to find one

Other than that she definitely sounds good and looks pretty good. The person who had this before me cut out the resonator, it doesn't sound bad, but I think I might throw in a glass pack. Does the catalytic converter on the SVT look like the catalytic converter on the regular Duratec? This cat looks very different. I'll snap pictures when I get batteries for the camera.

I think a glasspack with the cats still on the pipe would sound pretty good. I think if you took the cats out/gutted them, it'd sound like crap.

I think a glasspack with the cats still on the pipe would sound pretty good. I think if you took the cats out/gutted them, it'd sound like crap.

That is what I intend to do. It doesn't sound bad, but I think that a glass pack might cut down on the slight rasp she's got.

I was just curious if the main cat is supposed to look like the main cat on the regular duratec, say from my old SE.

Back