• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Starting in 5th gear, how bad is that?

turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, look in through the wheel well and look at the shift cable ends. its possible the bushing in the white cable end is missing and the end popped off the shift tower.

check these threads for pictures of what im talking about.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=32349&highlight=shift+cable+ends

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=36344&highlight=shift+cable+ends

mine did that, I rigged up a ghetto fix that actually works better than the stock bushing. I'll try to find pictures.

mine did that, I rigged up a ghetto fix that actually works better than the stock bushing. I'll try to find pictures.
why rig it up when you can buy the new cable ends with bushings for iirc a total of 20 bucks for both of them:shrug:

because my little mod replaced the squishy rubber bushings with semi-soft black plastic. it also secures them with c clips, a little more positive than squeezing them into rubber.

like this:

img2117small.jpg

What's so funny, funny guy:laugh:..... I don't drive an SVT and am still learning..... I pushed one in on my parts car just for fun and didn't know what it did :laugh:..... hehe

hardy har, I did spend some time looking at how it all works, I just dont like replacing wear parts with more stuff that will wear out, I think my plastic bushing is more solid and will hold up better than the janky piece of rubber that failed and left me without all my gears.

same concept here as with poly RR's...

I sort of naturally understood it had to do with adjustment, but initially thought some tool went on it, only after playing with it did the simplicity come through

What's so funny, funny guy:laugh:..... I don't drive an SVT and am still learning..... I pushed one in on my parts car just for fun and didn't know what it did :laugh:..... hehe
oh damn lol i forgot you have a rod shift trans :troutslap: I thought you were just being funny lol

Back