• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Equal length "Y-pipe" concept, opinions?

KAOS_3.0

Hard-core CEG'er
so, here ya go:

fordcontoursuperypipede.png

Shot at 2009-06-14

requires giving up either your cat or resonator, and is pretty custom, and of coursen the bends will be dificult, but I think it is a pretty solid concept. I made it to accept bolt on headers, but if we wanted to get crazy, we could even design real 4-2-1's and then not use any of the stock y-pipe.

comments? input? help with production? I dont have a bender, and even if I did, this would still be hard to make with a typical bender, but it does seem to solve a lot of problems...

Why not just use a SHO Shop y-pipe? All of those bends are going to take a ???? load of space and cost a fortune if you use mandrel bends, which is the only way this setup would be beneficial.

Furthermore, what do you plan on gaining from this? MAYBE 5 hp over a SHO Shop IF anything? That's a hell of a lot of work and money for 5 hp.

well the idea was inspired by "maddmike"s set up, but I just sorted it out to be equal length.

honestly, I wasnt expecting a big power increase, just a better sound.

I really hate the off balance exhaust sound from these the way they are. the firing order and exhaust pulses are way off, and I thought this would make a pretty nice melody.

how hard do you think it would be to make something like pictured above?

how hard do you think it would be to make something like pictured above?

Extremely. The only way I see it being done is with a ???? TON of mandrel bends, so I'm going to say that it would probably cost you about as much as your motor...or more, and take many many hours to fit, cut, and weld each little piece. Take that flowmaster off and put something else on, and you'll have better sound.

Extremely. The only way I see it being done is with a ???? TON of mandrel bends, so I'm going to say that it would probably cost you about as much as your motor...or more, and take many many hours to fit, cut, and weld each little piece. Take that flowmaster off and put something else on, and you'll have better sound.

I agree with this man.

To obtain a setup like shown above...lots of welding and 45-60-90 degree bends would be needed. I don't see why you would need to obtain this other then for noise purposes. Also flex pipes would have to be placed up front....those pipes would clang against one another during the flex!

Even then you would still have a hard time registering the pulse waves....the waves twisted would flow slower. This would cause them to offset at different times in the rpms...when they would splash against the first bend. It's seriously a red flag to even attempt this...i doubt you have a sound engineering lab to do testing.:shrug:

trust me when i say...I'm the first to try any new style exhaust setup. After 16 exhaust setups...and having my own custom welded true duals...i would pass on this.:blackeye:

FP93V6B.jpg

This setup is what i would recommend!

I thought that was for the PGT?

and I'm guessing that also replaces the cat? so I'd still have to replace the resonator with a 2.5"-3" cat, right?

in the thread you posted earlier, they also said that turn hangs under the oil-pan right? I have the taurus oilpan, and I'm lowered, something tells me this would not mix well with speedbumps and what I like to call " a nose from Mt. Rushmore" (my driveway)

you should see my ac condenser and lower rad. mounts....

lets just say the condenser isn't even in the car any more.

I do plan to build a big skid plate for the front of this thing, not enough clearance for some of the GTAMW situations it might see in the future...

(I know, not funny, but it's better to be prepared than be "that guy")

It is....i was suggesting that you build something similar!

and I'm guessing that also replaces the cat? so I'd still have to replace the resonator with a 2.5"-3" cat, right?
.You could weld in the stock cat into your new equal length piping! You can buy High flow cats that are 6 inches long.

in the thread you posted earlier, they also said that turn hangs under the oil-pan right? I have the taurus oilpan, and I'm lowered, something tells me this would not mix well with speed bumps and what I like to call " a nose from Mt. Rushmore" (my driveway)

To be honest...you would be scrapping if your car is lowered. Which was my problem.

From my own personal experience, I ran MSDS headers/y-pipe, homemade cat delete pipe and Trubendz with the magnaflow muffler and no resonators. This was an extremely loud setup.....extremely loud not a easy car to pass cops with. I'd recommend that setup with either a stock cat or high flow cat and you'll be happy.

Otherwise use MSDS headers and run tru-duals. If I ever get another CSVT I'd do that, tru-duals with hi flow cats and magnaflows with no resonators. Plenty of clearance with either setup, I ran Konis/GC's at full slam with no road issues. I obviously drove around all road hazards,road kill,debris, small children.....ants. Yes I know the anal retentive will say equal length is the "best" but seriously its not a race car and what are you gaining?

in the thread you posted earlier, they also said that turn hangs under the oil-pan right? I have the taurus oilpan, and I'm lowered, something tells me this would not mix well with speedbumps and what I like to call " a nose from Mt. Rushmore" (my driveway)

I don't think that you're lowered enough to really worry about it.

NPG turbo kit has one pipe that runs under the oil pan. I have only scrapped it once and it was on a very sharp speed bump or something that I was going to fast for and the car slammed down on. I am running on eibachs. other then that I have had no issues when approaching speedbumps and steep driveways correctly and at the correct speed.

hmm...let me try this again.

You will not be able to accomplish proper pulse waves with that design...first i don't know the exhaust gases pulses leaving a 3.0. They will have to be measured. What type of cams do you have?

Also once you find the pulse setting...any obstruction causes a change within the exhaust flow. Resulting a shift in your exhaust tone.

What is your ultimate goal? power? sound?

I'm sorry man but you should be more worried about your money troubles then building an expensive piece of exhaust pipe :shrug:

i am looking for a better Y pipe than my weapon R setup. it collects at 2.5" i want something that meets at 3". i hear MSDS does. i hear that SHOshop doesnt but it also doesnt have the 180 bend. anyone got pics of every style ?

i am looking for a better Y pipe than my weapon R setup. it collects at 2.5" i want something that meets at 3". i hear MSDS does. i hear that SHOshop doesnt but it also doesnt have the 180 bend. anyone got pics of every style ?

I don't have pics for you, but the MSDS does seem to be about a 3" the way I'm picturing it in my mind from the last time I looked at one of mine. You are correct that the SHO-Shop or BAT (copy) y-pipe does not have the u-bend.

Back