• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Air filter is dirty.. erm, what is it?

mixtape

CEG's Most Wanted
So I drove the 98 CSVT for the first time this past weekend :). It's been in the shop since March for a trans issue but that's a whole nother story :rolleyes:. So everything seems to be fine now mechanically. So I decided to check out the oil and air filter. Seems the previous owner put on an after market intake. There doesn't seem to be any labeling of a brand so I'm not quite sure where to buy a new filter :confused:.

Does this look familiar to anyone? Any part number, size, or link to a replacement? I really appreciate it; this one looks like it's nearing blah :laugh:.

0603091229.jpg

0603091228.jpg

0603091229a.jpg

0603091230.jpg

0603091231.jpg

Looks like a generic cone filter like they sell at autozone. I'd replace it with something that will actually do a decent job at filtering the air.

Is the one you have not serviceable? It looks like oiled gauze like a K&N. If so, a K&N cleaning kit would solve your problem. Be careful you don't over oil it so you don't mess up the MAF (mass air flow sensor).

If you have an open element air cleaner, you should consider adding a heat shield so you don't get a dramatic drop in power in hot weather.

If you don't like oiled gauze, the factory air box etc shows up pretty often in the classified.

Is the one you have not serviceable? It looks like oiled gauze like a K&N. If so, a K&N cleaning kit would solve your problem. Be careful you don't over oil it so you don't mess up the MAF (mass air flow sensor).

It would clean it and get it ready to use again but then he's stuck with a filter that is letting more dirt through then a filter really should.

It kinda looks like the Reverse cone filter that BAT sells with one of their intake combos

Its the second one down
http://64.202.180.37/files/cengine.pdf

Hmm, you have a good point. From my original guessing, I figured it was one of those cheap paper filters from eBay that the last owner put on. Didn't think this was a reusable one :shocked:. I guess it's time for me to figure out how to re oil this thing. Are the filter's cheap? I may just order a new one instead.

It would clean it and get it ready to use again but then he's stuck with a filter that is letting more dirt through then a filter really should.

That's not good either lol. Besides from an expensive K&N, are there any other filters that I can stick on for optimal air flow? I was thinking something like this. I prefer one that doesn't have to be cleaned. What do you guys think?

As for heatshields, the only one I know is Pudmunkie's and that's a little pricey. Any generic alternative or am I going to have to save up :rolleyes:.

Thanks! :)

That's not good either lol. Besides from an expensive K&N, are there any other filters that I can stick on for optimal air flow? I was thinking something like this. I prefer one that doesn't have to be cleaned. What do you guys think?

Thats is a great filter actually. Both the AEM and AFM dry filters are top notch. They do still need cleaning though but its as easy as tapping it out or using a vacuum every year or so.

wow, thats really cool, I've never seen a reusable filter that didn't need to be oiled. is that material like felt or something? it sort of looks like it.

sucks they probably dont make a drop in for svt air boxes...

I'm going to guess it probably vapor locks pretty easy, right? I ask because I have this idea that starts with a V...

[edit] I really like that flex hose cold air snorkel, wonder if it would couple to the svt air box? right now I have a frankenstien of my own creation doing the same thing, but in a much uglier fashion.

I've also heard that removing the screen diffuser will add a little power? is this true? mine is still in...

wow, thats really cool, I've never seen a reusable filter that didn't need to be oiled. is that material like felt or something? it sort of looks like it.

I'm going to guess it probably vapor locks pretty easy, right? I ask because I have this idea that starts with a V...

[edit] I really like that flex hose cold air snorkel, wonder if it would couple to the svt air box? right now I have a frankenstien of my own creation doing the same thing, but in a much uglier fashion.

I've also heard that removing the screen diffuser will add a little power? is this true? mine is still in...
ummmmmm what kinda drop in are you looking for? there are nice filters available for the stock svt intake.

one I dont have to oil would be cool, I thought k&n was the best, guess I was wrong.

I always sort of thought AEM was about as nice as APC, guess I was wrong there too though

I have a K&N svt drop in right now. honestly though, I'm not sure what I want to do as far as feeding this thing oxygen at all right now though...

one I dont have to oil would be cool, I thought k&n was the best, guess I was wrong.

I always sort of thought AEM was about as nice as APC, guess I was wrong there too though

I have a K&N svt drop in right now. honestly though, I'm not sure what I want to do as far as feeding this thing oxygen at all right now though...
ok i was sitting here thinking i have a fram airhog filter brand new sitting here and had a K&N and svt airbox on my cougar at a point in time lol.......... AEM is worlds above apc lol

yeah, both those take oil, and I allready have the latter, haha

yeah, the only decent part I thought AEM made was fuel rails for i4's, and super cool 50hp stickers for your windows, haha

Its kinda like a synthetic felt. And they do make them for the SVT airbox as I have been using one for over a year. Next oil change I'll probably pull it out to see if it needs a little bit of vacuum to clean it up a little.

Like $35-40. It was badly listed on eBay as the v6 Mustang filter.

Actually, from certain years, several of the mustang filters drop right into the stock SVT airbox. I used a filter from my 94 Cobra for quite awhile on my CSVT.

Back