• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

True Duals Part--2

my true duals didnt need either (x or h) as my supertrapps allowed me to tune each side independently...

my true duals didnt need either (x or h) as my supertrapps allowed me to tune each side independently...

Wow....please don't offer advice....:nonono:....stay away from my threads also!

Cross over pipes are needed!!
They help balance and smooth out exhaust pulses between the two sides of the system. Theoretically, the crossover should also give a slight improvement on exhaust gas scavenging, which should offer some modest gains in power output.

An x-pipe, with gentle bends and an open center chamber, offers substantially better balancing or equalizing of the exhaust gas pulses than are possible with an H-pipe. Which was the very reason...i went with the x-pipe instead of the demonsvt's h-pipe setup. Because the X-pipe, with no other changes, offer enhanced power production to the car!!. It should also eliminate the burbling and popping on deceleration that's not especially uncommon on aftermarket...and obviously common with our cars that have no cats at all.

They make mufflers now with internal X-pipes.
If I were starting a dual system from scratch I would consider that under the car near the factory resonator location and then rear mufflers. I think having the X inside a mufflers would simplify things....benefits of the crossover and resonator effect together.
Sounds great BTW Harry.
-J

They make mufflers now with internal X-pipes.
If I were starting a dual system from scratch I would consider that under the car near the factory resonator location and then rear mufflers. I think having the X inside a mufflers would simplify things....benefits of the crossover and resonator effect together.
Sounds great BTW Harry.
-J

I currently have my x-pipe in the resonator location. I regret placing it there...but i honestly don't care enough to redo my exhaust for the 14th time.
If i had more motivation....i would move the x-pipe to the location of where the y-pipe was placed. That is the correct location of placement for the pulses to meet.

Now the internal x-pipe is a great idea...i couldn't find one small enough that had dual in and dual out to fit in the canal....it would have to hang down underneath the edges to fit...so i passed on installing one.

Btw...thanks for the compliment man!

I've got true duals with an x-pipe (placed in the correct position) all stainless steel too, and a lil birdie told me there is going to be another one very soon :crazy:

BTW, dual 2.25 is really not optimal for a 3L. First its a lil too big unless you plan on building an insane 3L and second the collectors on the msds headers are already 2 inches so no point in going any bigger afterwards.

Back