• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Powder Coating anyone?

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
Alright so I bought a bunch of powder coat to do my own parts (baer brakes, misc underhood), however I'm going to have a lot left over.

Here is what I will have available:

mirror gloss black
mirror gloss chrome
candy red (very very close to a t-red contique)
mirror gloss gold
matte black
yellow
red

I do have a blast cabinet so I can basically do everything. If you have needs and live in the Twin Cities Metro or are in driving distance of Coon Rapids, MN (dont really want to screw around with shipping stuff as this is not a business) let me know, would be cheap, just looking to pay for the unused powder I have. You would just have to pay for materials and a small amount for my time.

did you just say baers? i hate you lol.

i want some stuff done matte black pls. pass. side motor mount, TB housing, MAF housing, and a really short intake pipe. :) and maybe my EGR block off.

oh and my wheels, gloss black would be great hahahaha

did you just say baers? i hate you lol.

i want some stuff done matte black pls. pass. side motor mount, TB housing, MAF housing, and a really short intake pipe. :) and maybe my EGR block off.

oh and my wheels, gloss black would be great hahahaha

I should have enough matte black do do all of the stuff you mentioned. As for the wheels... yea not sure I could pull that off easily and I don't think I'll have enough powder to do all of your wheels either.

can this be done in an afternoon? maybe i'll just drive it over and pull the stuff quick. shouldnt be too hard. i have a lot to show you. plus, i'm gonna be getting a sniper tuning program whenever these apartment people send me back my damage deposit. a little help getting a baseline would be sweet, since you've been playing with your PRP for a while. just the basic stuff is needed first off.... deleting IMRC switches, changing fan relay temps, deleting EGR, and a little bump in timing :D

Alright so I bought a bunch of powder coat to do my own parts (baer brakes, misc underhood), however I'm going to have a lot left over.

Here is what I will have available:

mirror gloss black
mirror gloss chrome
candy red (very very close to a t-red contique)
mirror gloss gold
matte black
yellow
red

I do have a blast cabinet so I can basically do everything. If you have needs and live in the Twin Cities Metro or are in driving distance of Coon Rapids, MN (dont really want to screw around with shipping stuff as this is not a business) let me know, would be cheap, just looking to pay for the unused powder I have. You would just have to pay for materials and a small amount for my time.

How does the mirror gloss chrome come out? I may want my supercharger bracket coated again. I had to cut a notch for valve cover clearance and the old powder coating is chipping in that area. It shouldn't take much time or powder.

How does the mirror gloss chrome come out? I may want my supercharger bracket coated again. I had to cut a notch for valve cover clearance and the old powder coating is chipping in that area. It shouldn't take much time or powder.

Well I haven't gotten any of this powder yet... should be here in about a week. However here is a picture that someone like me submitted to their website...

ST_ReflChrome.gif

I talked with their sales rep and I've got everything to get results like this ordered. I'm sure that's the look your after ;)

Edit: However that said I heard that Chrome can be very difficult to get good results with so until I try it I won't guarantee results

To get the chrome powder to lay that smooth and be so reflective is to start with the smoothest surface you can. Sometimes people will sand UIMs because they are so bumpy and the finished product will turn out better. It's all in the prep work ;) - Glad to see your coating! - JOE

To get the chrome powder to lay that smooth and be so reflective is to start with the smoothest surface you can. Sometimes people will sand UIMs because they are so bumpy and the finished product will turn out better. It's all in the prep work ;) - Glad to see your coating! - JOE

Hey Joe. Yea I've actually been coating for sometime now. However I've just have been doing it for my own stuff and my close friends/relatives. I've just never coated with chrome before and for good reason. There are a lot of people out there that are just not big fans of it. A lot of problems to hurdle to get it to turn out and even if you do it's not going to be as good as the real thing. Many people have tried a number of things to get it to turn out. Right now from what I have read the best way to do it is to have a very reflective finish on the part or to use a base coat of mirror black. Then lay the chrome and let it cure for as long as 45min or more to ensure that it cures completely. Then let it cool to room temp. Once that has occurred clear coat it with a high gloss and call it a day. So with that I've decided to go ahead and give chrome a shot. If it works out, great. If not I'll be using it as a base coat for my translucent colors anyway.

So Chris after powder coating with that chrome I feel confident that it will turn out nice. Here are some shots of the base coats on the calipers I did. However these have not been clear coated, which is typically where the issues come up. Once I've finished with my parts I'll screw around with a valve cover and see how it turns out with a clear coat.

chromereflection.jpg

closeupchrome.jpg

overviewchrome.jpg

Yummy :drool:

Maybe I should have my brake calipers powdercoated... they are starting to peel again and I'm not a big fan of repainting them :laugh:

Hey, i need to get a pair of valve covers powder coated something close to t-red. Got a pair from the junkyard last year and want to get them powder coated so they match the painted intake i did last fall also.

Well I haven't done anything with the candy red. I've got a SHO intake that I'm going to powder coat here pretty soon. I'll try it out and see how it looks.

Mike how big is your oven? My dad has some splash pans he'd like done in either gloss or matte black... They're roughly 24"x10"x6" if I remember correctly. So not huge, but decent sized.

Yup! Sorry been pretty busy lately. I actually powder coated a throttle body for iamnotacop420 (I believe) TRicker was selling it to him and he was wondering about getting it powder coated. It turned out pretty dang good!

As far as the chrome goes I did my throttle body at the same time and after applying a clear coat it does take a bit of the reflection away leaving it look very close to a bright bright silver. However that said I also did my IMRC cover and did not clear it and it seems to be holding up just find :shrug: so who knows.

Cool let me know... He's been wanting these done for a couple weeks now :laugh:

Sorry this took so freaking long! You think I would have just remembered to take the time to measure this. I just did it tonight :help:
Not sure if it will be big enough with it being 24"... but get some corrected measurements and we'll see. I'm thinking about buying some heat lamps for this, but since I don't do enough of this it's really not worth my time unless I started powder coating wheels for people or something and made a side business out of this, which is not what I'm looking to do.

17" deep, 23" wide and 13" high (usable space that is)

Back