• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Yellow Valve cover

CollinsPC

Veteran CEG'er
Powder Coated 2.5 valve cover

attachment.php

Attachments

• Ultra Yellow3.JPG
    Ultra Yellow3.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 0
Wasn't there an issue with a powdered piece killing an oil pump a while back?

If the peice was coated properly, the coating wouldn't come off or be in an area that would be able to get into the motor.

I would think that the oil pump would be more an issue than PC. The PC would only be about 2 mils thick and if it came off I doubt it would be in a large enough piece to cause problems, but you never know anything is possible.

It was from sandblasting media (steel media IIRC) getting stuck to the inside of the valvecover. Something about a static charge buildup?

I think I cleaned each of mine like three times before I put them back on, I was kind of paranoid:crazy:

I clean them when I get them, after blasting, after coating, and before shipping. So four times MINIMUM before you get them back. It isn't a bad idea to clean them again before installing as the shipping could dislodge anything that might have made it through the process.

Forgot after out gassing. So five cleanings total 4 after blasting.

Wasn't there an issue with a powdered piece killing an oil pump a while back?

It's all good now :eek: don't be skeeeerd.

Not so much static build up but that I coated the outside of the valve covers but didn't see a need to clean them on the inside until I was totally done coating. It is too late then because the oil in the covers cooks the steel shot into it and is almost impossible to clean off. The splashing of the motor oil eventually loosend the steel shot and it falls right into the oil pump and does this:

newpics084.jpg

newpics085.jpg

newpics137.jpg

newpics139.jpg

Yes it did, but I wanted to go to a million miles on my original motor...... sorry about the thread jack but people have to know why it wasn't ok and why it now is ok to coat valve covers. I am actually using sand now for valve cover blasting, not steel shot.

People just need to know that as powder coaters, we shouldn't be responsible for cleaning the oil and grease from areas we don't coat. I get so irritated with people sending me parts that I would never even see on a car in the junk yard :nonono:.

Nice job on the yellow, looks nice for sure - I should have went that color for mine :D

People just need to know that as powder coaters, we shouldn't be responsible for cleaning the oil and grease from areas we don't coat. I get so irritated with people sending me parts that I would never even see on a car in the junk yard :nonono:.

I should send you parts of my engine, you'd mail me back a bomb. :laugh:

They can send parts as dirty as they want, they just need to know that it is 45.00 per hour shop rate to clean parts that are in that kind of shape. My time isn't free, the coating takes enough time with the prep work and the cost of the powder and electric and gas, they are getting a hell of a deal for coating.

Thanks for the compliment by the way.

They can send parts as dirty as they want, they just need to know that it is 45.00 per hour shop rate to clean parts that are in that kind of shape..

You are exactly right. People need to know our time is not free. Another reason for having such cheap prices is because I don't take extra time to clean all of the part. I pretty much go into the blaster in the condition they are sent me, clean/outgas/clean/coat, and take picture :). A lot of time is spent in just the prep work for everything before coating and doing brake re-builds is the worst. It takes the most time and you have to be the most careful because you have to rebuild using old seals and now introduce the brake fluid to the fresh coating if you are not careful.

You do really nice work, I would like to see more pics of things you have done ;). - JOE

P.S. Try to post them as an image instead of an attachment IE:
attachment.php

I should send you parts of my engine, you'd mail me back a bomb. :laugh:

Not anymore, but back in January '08 - April '08 you would have gotten one :laugh:. Not funny, really :rolleyes:. Who could have predicted that anyway....?

No, I literally meant a bomb. The "explode in your face" type of thing upon opening the package.

I wasn't knocking on your work.

Back