• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Truth or Nonsense

blest92.5

New CEG'er
After having issues with lean codes and having U/L manifold gaskets replaced and all (according to Ford) vacuum hoses replaced the leak continues and according to them the issue is a rubber grommet on the IMRC and the IMRC needs replacement.

To anyone familiar with a similar situation, does this sound true or not? Also anyone know what an IMRC would wholesale for? Retail is $983.

Thanks for any info.

After having issues with lean codes and having U/L manifold gaskets replaced and all (according to Ford) vacuum hoses replaced the leak continues and according to them the issue is a rubber grommet on the IMRC and the IMRC needs replacement.

To anyone familiar with a similar situation, does this sound true or not? Also anyone know what an IMRC would wholesale for? Retail is $983.

Thanks for any info.

The IMRC can be had for $50-$100 used.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=42427&highlight=IMRC

All the IMRC does (on 96 and up Contours) is pull a cable which actuates some butterflies in the lower intake manifold. The IMRC could not cause a vacuum leak or a lean condition in any way I can figure. Even if those butterflies are stuck open the air coming in is still metered.

The IMRC on '95s is vacuum actuated. I'm not familiar with that system, but I'm guessing it could develop a problem like that. What year is your vehicle? That might help determine whether this is a possible diagnosis or if someone is trying to fleece you.

They make it sound like you need the whole manifold replaced to get that grommet.
That's what I am thinking too; looking at elraido's link that might be the case - the grommet on the cable doesn't look like it comes off.

All the IMRC does (on 96 and up Contours) is pull a cable which actuates some butterflies in the lower intake manifold. The IMRC could not cause a vacuum leak or a lean condition in any way I can figure. Even if those butterflies are stuck open the air coming in is still metered.

The IMRC on '95s is vacuum actuated. I'm not familiar with that system, but I'm guessing it could develop a problem like that. What year is your vehicle? That might help determine whether this is a possible diagnosis or if someone is trying to fleece you.
I'm runnin' a stock (except for a K&N air filter) '99 SVT and got the 0171/74 codes. I could hear a 'whilstle' sound at 1900-2000 rpm that increased with throttle. I had the U/L IM gaskets done, still heard the sound and failed emissions; went back to the dealer shop and they purportedly replaced the vac lines and came at me with this IMRC story.

Ok, I'm leaning more towards fleecing. At worst, a failing IMRC would cause the car to have performance problems above 3400-3900 rpms if it couldn't open one or both banks of butterflies. If I were in your shoes I'd want to talk to the service manager to try and find out exactly why they feel the need to replace the IMRC to fix a vacuum leak.

Ok, I'm leaning more towards fleecing. At worst, a failing IMRC would cause the car to have performance problems above 3400-3900 rpms if it couldn't open one or both banks of butterflies. If I were in your shoes I'd want to talk to the service manager to try and find out exactly why they feel the need to replace the IMRC to fix a vacuum leak.
That makes 2 of us, after getting your feedback about the IMRC just actuating the butterflies and researching about it I agree.

Check the corrugated (?) hose that runs along the firewall to the evap cannister. Mine had a leak there, could hear it, but it was hard to see. Gave me the same codes as I recall.

the actuation system is vacuum controlled. It uses a diaphram and a rod that connects to the secondary linkage. typically the secondaries are always open. engine vacuum causes them to close. a solenoid controls when the diaphram sees vacuum and is open and closed.

Back