• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dash lights

wapony

New CEG'er
Has anyone had any problems with the dash lights not lighting up when the headlights are turned on? I looked for a fuse but all the fuses are good under dash and hood... Its hard to drive @ night and not to see the speed or even heater controls.. thanks in adavance and HELP !!!!!:mad:

it is probly the dimmer switch. I had this problem on my 95 mystique. you can usually just get one at a yard and swap it out.

:shrug:I was kinda thinking that but it looks like a pain to get out, does the whole console have to come out to get @ it?

yeah you have 2 or 4 screws in the instrument cluster and then maybe 2 under the contour or clock assuming you are post 98. my 95 was different but it still took a few mins to do it.

well i got that out and bypassed it with a paperclip and still got nothing.. Tested the dial with a meter and still dunno if thats it, lol:shrug:... I guess i might just have to pick 1 up and try it.. There are 3 wire to the dial, 2 org and 1 black, I would assume the black would be a ground for the small light in the switch but not sure..

not sure about the power. all i know is that my mytique would work at some spots and dead in others. replaced the switch and it worked through the whole range. You may be able to pull the switch apart and look at the guts and see if you can spray some electronics cleaner in there and see if that helps. at this point its more work that its worth so reaplacement is better. the chance you'll have to replace it again is slim.

I have a 2000 svt since new and never had a problem with that dimmer but the one in the mytique was 2 years old when it went bad and i owned that car since new also

good luck

Has anyone had any problems with the dash lights not lighting up when the headlights are turned on? I looked for a fuse but all the fuses are good under dash and hood... Its hard to drive @ night and not to see the speed or even heater controls.. thanks in adavance and HELP !!!!!:mad:
Turn on the lights, go to the back of the car. Are the rear lamps on or not? If they are not, it is the Headlamps Switch issue. There was/is a recall but if they have already done the recall, you need to buy the switch and connector and install it yourself. IIRC, it is about $70 for the two of them.

Autozonelink.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/d1/17/0900823d801bd117/repairInfoPages.htm

Back