• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

so it started, barely

KAOS_3.0

Hard-core CEG'er
So after paying for my tune, some crack head broke in my car and stole my xcal2 before I could use it, yay , so I got a new x3 direct from joey. Now it starts, but its throwing p0156,p1131, and p1151, as well as that the manifolds will glow orange and it has no power at all. Number 4 is dead cause when I pull the plug wire nothing changes. So I'm thinkin ignition issues plus a massive vac leak, but it might be an egr issue as well. I'm on somebodies black berry now cause my internet is down, but just wanted to keep you guys posted.

So after paying for my tune, some crack head broke in my car and stole my xcal2 before I could use it, yay , so I got a new x3 direct from joey. Now it starts, but its throwing p0156,p1131, and p1151, as well as that the manifolds will glow orange and it has no power at all. Number 4 is dead cause when I pull the plug wire nothing changes. So I'm thinkin ignition issues plus a massive vac leak, but it might be an egr issue as well. I'm on somebodies black berry now cause my internet is down, but just wanted to keep you guys posted.
hey, kudos to you for staying cool under fire !! Definately want all six plugs firing. The vacuum leaks will make it rev higher than normal and lean too. ..G.

I really hope you have stainless headers.

Sorry to hear someone stole your Xcal. Most people have not a clue what Xcal is, I wouldn't think it's a high theft item.

Well then the car would be running like crap and nobody would run a car that long to get them up to a glow if it's running like crap.... or would they?

well they might...

the real question is how does one trouble shoot anything without being able to observe it?

as for the belief it's running lean, I'm leaning the other way, because if the exhaust was lean it would be glowing red at the flange to the heads would it not? well mine is glowing after the precats, before the primary cat, more in the beginning of the y-pipe i guess you'd say.

also, when trying to get it cranked, the smell of vaporized fuel blows out of the tailpipe, and the plugs are fouling rich.

I checked the order of the wires on the coil and they are correct, now what may be wrong is the splicing of the wires from the harness to the taurus coil pack (the 2.5 one was unreliable on cold or wet days), given that that information was obtained from Dom and he seems to WANT my build to fail.

what I'm tending to think is bad o2's though. the last engine they were in did die from a trashed head gasket... sort of makes you lean to problematic exhaust parts...

as for a plugged primary cat trapping heat/unburnt fuel in the y-pipe, there seems to be plenty of exhaust pressure at the tailpipe, and it also ran rough and stumbly before I even had the flange after the y-pipe bolted to the cat... so, any other input guys?

I haven't done anything to it since I killed the battery trying to crank it and overall decided it was a piss poor idea to keep trying to run it when I couldn't really think of any other diagnostic things I could do to gather more info. wide band sure would be nice, but as of now I've got an april 9th deadline for the foreclosure of my home, and a working car sure would be nice right about now.

well they might...

the real question is how does one trouble shoot anything without being able to observe it?

as for the belief it's running lean, I'm leaning the other way, because if the exhaust was lean it would be glowing red at the flange to the heads would it not? well mine is glowing after the precats, before the primary cat, more in the beginning of the y-pipe i guess you'd say.

also, when trying to get it cranked, the smell of vaporized fuel blows out of the tailpipe, and the plugs are fouling rich.

I checked the order of the wires on the coil and they are correct, now what may be wrong is the splicing of the wires from the harness to the taurus coil pack (the 2.5 one was unreliable on cold or wet days), given that that information was obtained from Dom and he seems to WANT my build to fail.

what I'm tending to think is bad o2's though. the last engine they were in did die from a trashed head gasket... sort of makes you lean to problematic exhaust parts...

as for a plugged primary cat trapping heat/unburnt fuel in the y-pipe, there seems to be plenty of exhaust pressure at the tailpipe, and it also ran rough and stumbly before I even had the flange after the y-pipe bolted to the cat... so, any other input guys?

I haven't done anything to it since I killed the battery trying to crank it and overall decided it was a piss poor idea to keep trying to run it when I couldn't really think of any other diagnostic things I could do to gather more info. wide band sure would be nice, but as of now I've got an april 9th deadline for the foreclosure of my home, and a working car sure would be nice right about now.

sounds like you are dancing around the problem that you know it is- the coil pack is wired wrong. it explains everything, including the fact that pulling wires doesnt change the way it runs.

when you ran the spark plug wires did you use the Chevy method of numbering cylinders or the ford?

Ford

1 2 3
Crank Trans
4 5 6

Chevy
1 3 5
Crank Trans
2 4 6

definately sounds like the plug wires are hooked up wrong...

I know because they were on my car after the swap because I rotated the coil on the valve cover 180 degrees and some how screwed up the firing order...

Good Luck.

well some one pm'd me asking the color of my injectors, stating grey 01+ injectors aren't 24lb/hr. indeed after pulling the uim today, the injectors are indeed grey/black colored, so....

the wires are on the coil 465-321, just like they are marked on the 2.5. they arent 180 out or anything, what may be wrong is the splice job to use the taurus coil and wires... didn't check the colors there yet, but i know theres a thread on the other site about that little tasks completion. that was back before i decided i like it here better, and the "help" i got was pretty flakey.

on top of all that, the o2's got to hang out in a manifold pumping blown head gasket junk past them for a good minute.

I'll say this, the pcm gave these dtc's durring my "diagnostic" process before it just decided it was sick of running.

in order of appearence:
p0156
p1131
p1151

p0301
p0303
p0304
p0305

p0171
p0174

now you guys should be able to pull those up and start to get the same i'm getting. looks pretty well as though the pcm has not a clue how much fuel is actually being burned.

I'd think with black fouled plugs and unburned fuel in the exhaust it surely shouldn't be going pig rich.

only reason I havent started replacing stuff willie nillie is because i simply can't afford to, what with being tossed out of my house and all.

the 'tour's been eating up the mortgage now for way too long.

stuck open injector? You listened for injector pulses? take a screwdriver or stethoscope and listen.

now thats a novel idea, but its fouling all the plugs, see the dtc's for misfires on 1, 3, 4, and 5? it seems a little unbelievable that many injectors could be stuck open, but i could always check in case nothing more likely pans out.

First check your coil pack wires. And now that you have your UIM off take the connectors off the coil pack off and get your buddy to turn over the car and make sure your injectors are firing properly.

What maf is your tune for?
I would get a tune for ur stock injectors and see if it runs OK.

Also make sure u have no vac leaks

it didn't start or anything with the stock tune, just turned over and backfired.

I had joey tune it for 24lb injectors, but explained they were the stock injectors from a 02 sable engine.

is there such a thing as a black injector on this engine? because the appearence of my injectors is as though they were ll black at some point and have faded to grey, and they seem to be different shades of grey, is this normal?

theres a chance my problem could simply be that the injectors from the engine i bought were :censored::censored::censored::censored:ed up to start with.

Back