• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Not Starting. i just want it to run

yamaha racer 686

Hard-core CEG'er
so its a 98 svt. starter turns and the engine rolls over but no start.

i checked and there are no codes, the fuel cutoff isnt on, and the pump is pumping.

we checked for spark but it doesnt seem to make any.

what possible problems could there be?

Last edited:
pats is working correctly. does the same as my Se.

when i turn the ignition on all the warning lights do come on in the dash.

ill check out the camshaft and ignition coil groud strap today

I'll be watching this thread - having the same troubles. Let us know how you make out.

Also check the ignition coil and make sure the ground strap for the ignition coil is attached.

When you turn the ignition to on, does the CEL light up for a while? If not, the PCM is not getting power.

Camshaft Position Sensor. autozonelink
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/cb/7c/0900823d801bcb7c/repairInfoPages.htm

Ignition coil
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/c4/02/0900823d801bc402/repairInfoPages.htm

Fuel pump won't prime if the PCM doesn't have power.

if you're sure your getting fuel, then the problem is either with the position sensor, or with the coil/plugs/wires possibly a sending wire is grounded out, or the coil pack isn't grounded properly (mentioned earlier).

Its possible the wiring harness to the coil pack is shorting internally, if it looks bad it might be worth taking a knife and opening up the outer covering to check (rewrap in electrical tape after of course). I'd check voltage to/from the cam position sensor first though.

Do you happen to have a copper pipe cap in your IAC hose? After my car sat without starting and no battery for a long time it refused to run with it in there.

Same but different

Same but different

I also have a 98 svt, but mine has an error message when I hook a code reader to it. My fuel pump isn't pumping though. My mechanic told me its either the PCM or the harness, I pulled a harness out of a 99 cougar but am not looking forward to switching them out. Is there anything that else I should check before tackling this by myself?

I also have a 98 svt, but mine has an error message when I hook a code reader to it. My fuel pump isn't pumping though. My mechanic told me its either the PCM or the harness, I pulled a harness out of a 99 cougar but am not looking forward to switching them out. Is there anything that else I should check before tackling this by myself?
If you don't get a check engine light its either a short/open in your wiring harness or a bad pcm.

You can try and get lucky with finding the short by checking under the fusebox and whatever else is visible. Also what worked for me was just pushing different parts of the harness until the short closed and I got a check engine light. Basically just futz with stuff and hope to get lucky.

Also you can swap in a different pcm (if you have one handy) to see if that brings up the check engine light, if not then its a short in the harness. (don't start the car w/ a non-svt pcm though, iirc svt's have bigger injectors so the tune will be off.)

The harness is definatly the problem. the two main wires going from the alternator got hot and melted, shorting out and causing a small fire. the harness out of the 99 cougar is way off so I had to order a new one. Should be here in a few days.

Back