• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.4L Yamaha V8. Is it Possible in Svt.

That thing does sound nice...but an average of 230whp for a 3.4L v8 is def obtainable with a 3.0l. :shrug:

Again, I agree. Really, the only reason is the sound. The V8 SHO engine aftermarket is pretty much non-existant, so that's your first of probably many hurdles. But again, that engine does sound nice. And yeah, to hear it out the a$$ end of a contour :drool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvvCV-xQh5s

Or even from the front:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40ay52N4SYE&NR=1

Yup, Thats Paul Nimz's car. I've been out to his place a couple of times for SHO meets. You should hear one with a blower....sweet music.

The engine sound was one of the many reasons I even thought about doing the swap. You got to admit too, it would be pretty unique. My bro-inlaw does alot of fabricating. This weekend we are going to do sum measuring and c what kinda fabrication needs. Thanks for all the input.

The engine sound was one of the many reasons I even thought about doing the swap. You got to admit too, it would be pretty unique. My bro-inlaw does alot of fabricating. This weekend we are going to do sum measuring and c what kinda fabrication needs. Thanks for all the input.

Like said, there will be a LOT of fabrication. I wouldn't be suprised if you guys get some done then realize how much there is and say forget about it. If you had the time AND skills, like Goumba and his AWD conversion, then I say go for it. Just make sure it isn't your daily driver.

I say take the $20-30K (maybe more?) to make a naturally aspirated SHO engine to fit and work properly in a Contour and instead put that towards a nice downpayment on a Noble/Rossion. But thats just me. :shrug:

Not my daily driver. Im goin to take out motor and c what needs done. If all fails, 3liter it is. I all know is I wont be adding to all svt's go to heaven thread. It'l be back on the road. Thanks everyone. I will update prob next weekend when we take out the motor.

Does it seem like it would be easier to square up an entire taurus frame and weld it into the contour unibody? :laugh:

Custom widebody for fender, hood, bumpers sounds easier then for you to one-off all the mods to the existing contour chassis to get the SHO motor in...

Does it seem like it would be easier to square up an entire taurus frame and weld it into the contour unibody? :laugh:

Custom widebody for fender, hood, bumpers sounds easier then for you to one-off all the mods to the existing contour chassis to get the SHO motor in...

naw he would have to modify the unibody significantly to accomodate the taurus subframes and mate the suspension.

I say what he does, is get an SHO taurus donor car, make a custom hood and fenders so he can put on the contour grill and headlights, cut and glass a contour bumper so it would be wide enough. Then circle around to the rear, I think at that point it would be easiest to modify the rear quarter panels, do a custom trunk, although I would recommend he does a pre98 style so that he doesnt have to deal with the fact the factory reflector wont go all the way across, then cut and glass the bumper and put a few Contour decals on it, and viola, he has himself a V8 contour minus a contour vin.

Not my daily driver. Im goin to take out motor and c what needs done. If all fails, 3liter it is. I all know is I wont be adding to all svt's go to heaven thread. It'l be back on the road. Thanks everyone. I will update prob next weekend when we take out the motor.

You know I meant to point this out to you earlier.... But do you have a full wire harness from an SHO taurus and an SHO ECU? You do realize without all three of those things it isnt gonna run right? Of course you would also need a cluster from an SHO. You could do it 100% custom with a custom wire harness and a stand alone ECU... But yeah, all thats in your budget right?

I willl agree with the majority here. It can be done. Hell, if somebody can put one in a Topaz (see here for the SHOpaz), somebody can put one in a Contour.
Not realy worth it at all.
The sounds is great. A very good friend of mine has 4 SHO's and by far the V8 sounds the best.

I willl agree with the majority here. It can be done. Hell, if somebody can put one in a Topaz (see here for the SHOpaz), somebody can put one in a Contour.
Not realy worth it at all.
The sounds is great. A very good friend of mine has 4 SHO's and by far the V8 sounds the best.

Any SHO tempo/topaz swaps have been a V6 SHO swap. plus its a lot easier with an ODBI. He wants to do it with an SHO V8.

Yeah, but big difference in the block...like the 2 exrta cylinders.

the two extra cylinders dont make that much of a difference though. The size of the block is relatively close to the size of a 3L block, although it is slightly wider, but its not like it is 1/3rd the width again, its only a couple inches difference. Theoretically it is possible I believe to fit the V8 in the contour engine compartment, albeit there would be a lot of cutting to the fenders, I am not sure if it would fit with the stock location of the strut towers so they may have to be trimmed and modified, plus it would require some changes to the subframe. But I think one of his biggest hurdles would be engine management. He would have to either swap a full wire harness, ECU, cluster, and a buncha other minor things from the SHO, or use a standalone. But then moving back to the rest of the stuff, he could transfer the ATX from the SHO (dunno why anyone would want to do that your gonna lose the 20 hp you would have over a 3L) or you could modify it to accept an MTX. The transmission though would be slightly offset from its original mounting position on the contour subframe, and the taurus subframe is to wide, so that means custom subframe. Then he would have to have new driveshafts made to make up for the offset.

Like several people have said before, nowhere near worth the cost. A 3L is nearly a direct swap, nets only slightly less power, and has enough aftermarket support to blow the doors off nearly any 3rd gen SHO.

the two extra cylinders dont make that much of a difference though. The size of the block is relatively close to the size of a 3L block, although it is slightly wider, but its not like it is 1/3rd the width again, its only a couple inches difference. Theoretically it is possible I believe to fit the V8 in the contour engine compartment, albeit there would be a lot of cutting to the fenders, I am not sure if it would fit with the stock location of the strut towers so they may have to be trimmed and modified, plus it would require some changes to the subframe. But I think one of his biggest hurdles would be engine management. He would have to either swap a full wire harness, ECU, cluster, and a buncha other minor things from the SHO, or use a standalone. But then moving back to the rest of the stuff, he could transfer the ATX from the SHO (dunno why anyone would want to do that your gonna lose the 20 hp you would have over a 3L) or you could modify it to accept an MTX. The transmission though would be slightly offset from its original mounting position on the contour subframe, and the taurus subframe is to wide, so that means custom subframe. Then he would have to have new driveshafts made to make up for the offset.

Like several people have said before, nowhere near worth the cost. A 3L is nearly a direct swap, nets only slightly less power, and has enough aftermarket support to blow the doors off nearly any 3rd gen SHO.

I want to say that the depth of the flywheel was an issue plus the crank shaft/flywheel mounting holes were different. If I wasnt so lazy I'd pull the atx off the V8 and see.
Well, if anyone wants measurement I have both on my garage floor. Including both engines and cars. Will I ever try it? Not a chance!

Since we're dreaming....why not toss in the New SHO Drivetrain 365hp TWIN turbo Ecoboosted AWD with quote "Room to tune".

It the 10 years I've been here, nobody has actually pulled through with a project like this. From the V6 Yamaha SHO Motor, V8 SHO motor, 5.0L Mustang motor, (We've heard it all) etc...all end up exactly the same. A thread starts and thats as far as the project gets off the ground. Even half of the 3.0L turbo projects end up like this.
Haha, well said!

Back