• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

stock battery cable guage

BrApple

No Life But CEG
what is the stock battery cable (both possitive and negative) guage size?

I was working on my battery relocation last night and found the my possitive and negative wires started to melt together in the area of the cable behind the battery box.

So I am going to upgrade all of the wiring when I swap in my 3L in a few weeks. As I will be removing my stereo amp power wire to run O/1 guage wire so I will have extra 4 guage cable that I can use ... but would this be an upgrade from the stock wiring? I looked at it last night but could determine if it would be.

That's some big cable. Is that really necessary?

well the idea was to go alitle overboard so that the elcetrical system could draw all that it can since it isn't that great as it is.

needless to say I need to replace those cable to I might just use the 4-guage that I have ....

Stock is 4 gauge Brian.

*Off topic* If you get a chance Pm me a pic how your KKM with the Pud line up with the fender intake.

Stock is 4 gauge Brian.​

*Off topic* If you get a chance Pm me a pic how your KKM with the Pud line up with the fender intake.​

thanks and will do, but its going to be after next weekend, not this coming weekend but the one after as I will not be down to where the SVT is stored until then.

BrApple, where is the thread on NECO about upgrading the gauges? I'm seriously considering doing it myself and was wondering if there is a write-up on it or somthing.

another related question on this... if you relocate the battery to the trunk is the 1/0 gauge wire really needed? Or could a guy get by with 2 gauge?

From what I've seen here, and from messing around with some online calculators... the 4 gauge would be on the border of being too small for that distance and the load the starter draws. 0 is over kill... 2 would be more on par but I haven't been able to find any. So my current plans include 0 gauge wire... even though I don't have any amps/subs, nor will I ever have any.

BrApple, where is the thread on NECO about upgrading the gauges? I'm seriously considering doing it myself and was wondering if there is a write-up on it or somthing.

check out the how-to forum and search for upgrading the big 3

From what I've seen here, and from messing around with some online calculators... the 4 gauge would be on the border of being too small for that distance and the load the starter draws. 0 is over kill... 2 would be more on par but I haven't been able to find any. So my current plans include 0 gauge wire... even though I don't have any amps/subs, nor will I ever have any.

this is correct .... 4 guage is suppose to be good for 140 amps, stock alternator is 130 amps .... I rather go overkill then not have enough ...

I wish they had pictures. I prefer to know exactly what I'm doing... before I do it. Most of those instructions made sense, but other parts will most likely make sense as you're doing it.

maybe this will help. I just used 4 guage cable to replace what was there. I used the old harness to get lengths and used 4 guage ring terminals. On the alternator itself I had to file the terminal down some and trim back the plastic around the connection to make it fit. at the starter I bent the terminals 90 degrees to bolt on. I retained the stock megafuse.

DSC04522.JPG

maybe this will help. I just used 4 guage cable to replace what was there. I used the old harness to get lengths and used 4 guage ring terminals. On the alternator itself I had to file the terminal down some and trim back the plastic around the connection to make it fit. at the starter I bent the terminals 90 degrees to bolt on. I retained the stock megafuse.
Wow... thanks for the pic!

Hey, where did you get the wire and terminals?

Best Buy :laugh:

and I had the wire already from my previous stereo install that I removed because of the battery relocation, I still need a few feet of 4 guage ground wire to replace the negative battery terminal/wire

Back