• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My idler pulley on my timing belt broke!!!!!!

ztecfreddy

CEG'er
ok i know this is bad!! but for some Reason my starter is spinning free on the fly weal. Dose anyone know what broke????

so you hear the starter spinning but it doesn't engage the flywheel? I would pull the starter and have it checked.

well the car was at idle and i heard a loud valve tap........later i see that the idler pulley on the timeing belt broke and that why it jumped time.i get that but then i made the misstake of cranking it over and i hear the starter engage and the crank is not moveing but the started is spinning. allso i can make the cerpintean belt spinn the pullys with my hand. that includes the crank pully(harmonic ballencer). im sure its bad.

well the car was at idle and i heard a loud valve tap........later i see that the idler pulley on the timeing belt broke and that why it jumped time.i get that but then i made the misstake of cranking it over and i hear the starter engage and the crank is not moveing but the started is spinning. allso i can make the cerpintean belt spinn the pullys with my hand. that includes the crank pully(harmonic ballencer). im sure its bad.

No, it's not.

You have a Zetec 2.0. It is a non-interference engine. The timing belt (or pulley broke). Change it and you will be fine.

ya it was a parts guy so i dident really believe them. but the dam pulley is friggen $76 it's made of plastic with a dam barring . that's a lot do you know wear i can get it cheaper?

If you broke a timing belt or slipped timing replace it all

If you broke a timing belt or slipped timing replace it all

What year car is yours?

Did you say you can spin the crank pulley by hand and spin the serpentine belt and all accessories? If so, you problem may be as simple as a sheared key on the crank and a loose crank pulley bolt, but now with the added burden of the timing being out of place.

Did you pull the timing cover to look at the timing idler? If your timing belt idler broke, then do yourself a favor and buy a timing belt kit for your car. It'll contain the tensioner, the idler(s) and belt. If your car is a 98 or later with VTC then get the timing kit, a bar for the cams and a pin for the crank. All for less than $200 total. Then read the faq for the proper year car and install the new belt and parts.

If you haven't much experience, try to see if one of the ceg folks lives near by and would be willing to help

the car has VCT. it allso has 155k and someone changed the belt and never changed the pulleys.i did take the cover off and can clearly see the broken idler. but the thing is the kit is like $150 and i could get a used engine with 65k ofr $350 so im trying to find a cheeper fix. like a aftermarket pulley.:confused:

the car has VCT. it allso has 155k and someone changed the belt and never changed the pulleys.i did take the cover off and can clearly see the broken idler. but the thing is the kit is like $150 and i could get a used engine with 65k ofr $350 so im trying to find a cheeper fix. like a aftermarket pulley.:confused:

If you do not replace the idler pulley, tensioner, and belt all at the same time you are going to regret not doing so in the future...

Then you have to find a way to put the engine in :) PM me I want to see how far into mass you are, maybe I can give you a hand installing the belt.

if you buy just the pulley alone you may as well hang yourself, but the whole set, yea it's $100 from autozone but it's a better investment.

if you STILL want a cheaper one, just pay shipping and I'll GIVE you mine.

PM me if you want it.

thanks but i got one fore $25 new but now i cant get the bolt off the harmonic balancer do i need a tool for that? cuz the crank wants to spin.

Use an impact wrench to remove the crank bolt

Use an impact wrench to remove the crank bolt

If you have access to an impact wrench, use it.

Back