• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car dying

No, there is at least a quarter tank of gas in there. So that first turn to on should bring the pressure to around 45? So I guess I need to pull the fuel pump and check the sock.

You taking the reading at the pump or up on the port on the fuel rail. Yes you should get full psi on the first prime.

pump

pump

personally i think it is the fuel pump its self cuz it isn't giving suffient psi to start with and then peters out when warm? sound like it is weak and then overheating...i have heard of this happening on others cars before the pump goes out all the way. but then again i cud be wrong, just my thought on it.

personally i think it is the fuel pump its self cuz it isn't giving suffient psi to start with and then peters out when warm? sound like it is weak and then overheating...i have heard of this happening on others cars before the pump goes out all the way. but then again i cud be wrong, just my thought on it.

Yep, sounds about right. I'll try to get the pump out tomorrow.

If I could just ask...
After you pop the little clips where the fuel lines go into the fuel pump, do the lines just pull out? I'm assuming they are pressure fit in there? I don't want to break something that is clearly marked "Not Repairable.":shocked:

If I could just ask...
After you pop the little clips where the fuel lines go into the fuel pump, do the lines just pull out? I'm assuming they are pressure fit in there? I don't want to break something that is clearly marked "Not Repairable.":shocked:

yeah, they pull right out...and on my car i was able to just wiggle and work the filter out w/o messing with the rusted up band around it, and yes it is still a tight fit.

Fuel pump issue

Fuel pump issue

I am having similar issues. I am on the last round of fixing things since I dropped the trans and replaced the clutch. Currently I can get the car to start after cranking the engine over about 5x longer than normal. The car will idle ok but if I try to drive it bucks and hesitates after the rpms get over 2700 or so. It really falls on its face you could say at around 2700. I monitored the fuel pressure at the rail and it reads in the mid 20's I believe and when I rev the engine with it in neutral as the engine revs the fuel pressure drops down to zero and then climbs back up to mid 20s when I let off gas.

I checked the pressure today at the exit and inlet of the fuel filter and it was nearly the same. At the inlet (fuel pump side) of the fuel filter it reads nearly 30 (~28) psi when I relieve the fuel pressure and then turn the key on to turn the pump on. I know that is low and in this thread it is confirmed that is a low psi during prime.

Is the last thing to do just change the fuel pump? I am not positive what pump I need as I have a 98 but it has a 2000 engine so has a single fuel line I believe (returnless). I think I read a thread about putting a FSVT pump in and the could be purchased for less than the CSVT and are a better pump.

It is very weird though that the fuel pump would die while the car was sitting. It had been fine up to the clutch dying and being replaced. The car has been disabled for about 6 months though so who knows.

the fuel probly gummed up in the pump sitting that long... i know "just sitting" can ruin a carb from the fuel gumming...not sure how long that usually takes though....i wonder if a good fuel sys cleaner might help you?? mabey not i dunno...i think it would be worth a try at $3-4 tho!:shrug:

the fuel probly gummed up in the pump sitting that long... i know "just sitting" can ruin a carb from the fuel gumming...not sure how long that usually takes though....i wonder if a good fuel sys cleaner might help you?? mabey not i dunno...i think it would be worth a try at $3-4 tho!:shrug:

So far I tried a couple bottles of HEAT. That did not seem to help.

I will check into that. I only tried heat as during the winter months when it was really cold I though that perhaps moisture was why it would not start or run correctly once started. Where do you get berrymans from. I am near Autozone, NAPA, and advanced auto. Your right imo if there is a chance it will take care of the problem the money will be well spent if it doesn't then oh well.

this is berrymans- $3.49 at AutoZone....
byp0116003.jpg

pour right into gas tank-

:cool: also works wonders in the crankcase, (only use 1/4 of the can in oil)but you MUST drain it out imediatly--while HOT!!!-let run 5-10mins then drain- like a pressure washer for the inside of the block:laugh: but if you don't drain it hot while still hot it will PERMANENTLY stick all the crap to your internal parts!!
i usually put 1/4 in oil and pour the rest in the tank- just make sure you're ready to change the oil!!

BTW-i also love HEET, just never used it for anything but moisture!

byp0116003.jpg

So just dump the whole can in the gas tank then? Also for the HEET I agree at the time I was using it I was thinking I had a moisture related problem.

Any idea how long it takes this stuff to work before I should be looking at changing the pump?

i would dump the whole thing in personally...the more the better:laugh: , however..if you are on empty or low i don't know if it will cause damage or not..dont think so tho i think it will just burn hotter until diluted or runs out..as far as how long, i'm not really sure because i've never used it for pump probs, but i imagine that if it is gonna work you will notice a difference in the way it runs within a few mins...i would let it run through for at least 30mins before giving up..but i'm pretty patient thou:shrug: either way it's only $4 so it's worth a try!!

i would dump the whole thing in personally...the more the better:laugh: , however..if you are on empty or low i don't know if it will cause damage or not..dont think so tho i think it will just burn hotter until diluted or runs out..as far as how long, i'm not really sure because i've never used it for pump probs, but i imagine that if it is gonna work you will notice a difference in the way it runs within a few mins...i would let it run through for at least 30mins before giving up..but i'm pretty patient thou:shrug: either way it's only $4 so it's worth a try!!

Cool thanks for the advice!

If I could just ask...

yeah i was wondering the same thing.. the fuel lines won't seem to "just pull out" like a couple people have said. mine are in there prettty good.. and i cant get them out.

i'm probably just being a wuss since im also scared of breaking something thats clearly marked "not repairable"

byp0116003.jpg

:cool: also works wonders in the crankcase, (only use 1/4 of the can in oil)but you MUST drain it out imediatly--while HOT!!!-let run 5-10mins then drain- like a pressure washer for the inside of the block:laugh: but if you don't drain it hot while still hot it will PERMANENTLY stick all the crap to your internal parts!!
i usually put 1/4 in oil and pour the rest in the tank- just make sure you're ready to change the oil!!

Well I tried it and it did not help. I ran the car for probably 30 minutes and drove around a bit. It would fall on face at mid to high rpms. The fuel pressure while the car was running would only go to 32 psi. It sounds like this should be around 65psi or so. I guess I'll be taking the back seat out tomorrow.....

Back