• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A ceg first...I think

I think they're pretty damn slick. Of course they've had the generic version at autozone for years though.

Now I'm thinking about the spring loaded plate idea. I loved that feature on my Cadillac and they make fuel cells that fit in the spare tire well.

You could use Dzus fasteners to hold the plate on. To the average person they would still look like screws, but would only require 1/4 turn to pop the plate off.

4ga is on the verge of being too small, I know 2ga is about the smallest recommended for relocating a battery to the back of a car. If you were a northerner that needed every possible CCA in sub-freezing conditions it is very likely that you would run into starting issues, however, as a southerner, the only issue you might encounter is restart issues on hot days with a hot starter.

As for the switch and the alternator, I have not had a 'Tour in a few years, so I do not remember the layout of the electrical system, but if both the alternator line and the vehicle power lines connect into the system behind the switch, the alternator can keep the system energized without the battery. If the track is adamant about making sure vehicles pass NHRA muster, they will have you start the car (and likely rev it a little) and then flip the switch to make certain the engine dies.

These diagrams are the wrong and right way of running a track legal kill switch in a Fox Mustang with a relocated battery without using a relay. These diagrams also apply to many other makes and models although some details are slightly different. Since it has been a while since I have dealt with a 'Tour, I am not certain if it is subject to these or not, but I suspect it is.

Wrong.
In this configuration, the alternator remains capable of energizing the electrical system.
diagram0.jpg

Right.
All avenues to energize the electrical system are isolated from the vehicle systems requiring power.
diagram1.jpg

Yeah I got that but assumed he was joking.

joking, no...
trolling, yes!

ya I spent some time last night going over the wiring with my car and came up with the same suggestions as Pope. If you just have it to appease track inspectors, I'd leave it as is as rerunning the alt cable will probably be a PITA.

Back