• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Header question

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
iirc the easiest one to install is one that is made for the cougar.
Correct

Correct. He didn't list one, however. The next easiest is the Focus shorty 4-1 headers (#2).

nope, it has a downpipe that wont clear our oil pan and the O2 sensor is in the wrong place, so his wiring harness wont be able to reach it.

None of those headers will fit. The header on the focus routes under the center of the motor. Ours routes on the passenger side. Go with the cougar 2 piece header it will bolt right up without a problem and was pretty much made to fit our car.

i think it would help as you would benefit from not having the empty chamber of your old cat, the manifold also had larger runners. it wont be anything amazing though until the exhaust gets done.

forgot about EGR...hmmmm find only the focus shorty header(no downpipe) that should have EGR. Then when you go to do you exhuast have a shop fab up a 2.25" down pipe for you.

i think it would help as you would benefit from not having the empty chamber of your old cat, the manifold also had larger runners. it wont be anything amazing though until the exhaust gets done.

forgot about EGR...hmmmm find only the focus shorty header(no downpipe) that should have EGR. Then when you go to do you exhuast have a shop fab up a 2.25" down pipe for you.
unfortunately, the EGR pipe on the focus connects to the downpipe/cat piece.

didn't know that. I which case, just remove egr and have the problem corrected with your tune

as long as you are in a state that doesn't require obdII emissions testing .... but for that matter you would fail a visual inspection for no cat anyway.

but as a side note the emissions levels where well below any limit on my 95 ... @ 209k ....

Wouldnt there be a way to drill out a hole for the EGR or something so i wouldnt have to have custome work done? also, Devan, how did you do urs? didnt you have an EGR?

nope, ford made vct for the zetec in 98. that made up for erg by retarding exhaust cam timing enough. that when it opened the engine would suck back in exhaust gasses(only retarded during idle, under load it would advance). it also allowed them to run more aggressive cams(not much on the contour) as seen on the svt focus(vct on intake cam).

But it is less reliable then an EGR system. So it doesnt get used on the zetec anymore(i dont think)

crazy idea, but there is a focus Zetec sitting in the JY near my house, will the oil pan fit on mine so i can run a focus header?

and you would need at least the oil pick up tube to match the pan and I don't know if the oil pumps are compatable.

Im pretty sure oil pumps are compatible(the year range for the FRPP pump covers all years the zetec was in the focus, and massivespeedsystem.com doesnt even specficy year just zetec).

but if he had to do the pump its not worth it at this point. not unless he was doing a rebuild or something at the same time.

Back