• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Guess what I picked up

Trust me, you'll want to do it. I was told I could make it a little while on an unmodded trans..made it less than 24 hours...The torsen and other Ford parts will be much less if you order from Tousley Ford. I ordered a new Torsen T2 and all parts associated with replacing a diff and it cost less than $600 with shipping :cool:

Did you call Tousley Ford? I just tried an email, it came back as a bad email.

Well, I'm somewhat stuck. It's trivial, but I'm stuck none the less. On valve covers and upper intake colors.:shrug: I've painted them 4 times with different colors and didn't like not one. They have been "chrome" looks more like a powder coat silver. If I liked it I was going to have them powder coated. Nope, didnt like it. Looked like everyone else. So, I was told to use a kit to mimic black chrome with the silver base. That just made it look like dark gray.:nonono: Then they went gloss black, yuk. The boss has a chrome machine that applies it like paint plus you can tint it and have the black chrome look. He's concerned about how it will hold up in an engine compartment. I'm willing to try but it a hell of a lot of prep work. Plus, it one of those things that he plays with in his spare time....which lately he has none of. I'd play with it but since uses real silver in the paint materials are expensive. So, I asked the local powder coat guy about the black chrome. He told me that he would try to tint the "silver" but I would own the results at $100.00. The only other color combo I sorta liked was a argent silver valve cover and a gun metal top with alot of metallic. Then I would high temp clear everything. That way if I dont like the end result I have the minimal amount of $$$ in it and wont hesitate to start all over with again. Can you believe this has set me back about a 1 1/2 weeks? That plus other things...errr:blackeye:

Oh plus the torsen is on back order at Tousley. Damn

Picking colors is the hardest part when you are that deep into the motor. It's not about picking plug wire colors or buying that stupid accordian colored plastic wire wrap :censored::censored::censored::censored:. Good luck with your search.

If you like any of the colors here:
columbiacoatings.com

let me know, I will work you out a deal on the powder coating ;) - JOE

On a SVTC? When was this?
IMG00134.jpg

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=38634

Just odd.

But!

I just bought my clutch..for $404.00 :) YAY!

Well, I decided to paint the covers argent silver. Its hard to tell the pic but it has more metallic then the rest of the block. Plus, a coat of clear.

PICT4790.jpg

:eek:, nice job. Powder coat on the valve covers and timing cover and wet spray on the block and pan? Looks good, I want close ups!

Thanks

Since I'm so indecisive, I painted everything with self etching primer then engine paint. The valve covers alone were sandblasted and painted 4 times till I found the right look. Even now I sill might change the valve covers if I could have them "black chrome" at a decent price. Powder coating lasts forever but I'm not planning on having the car THAT long.:crazy: Plus the wife got wind of how much i'm spending on a "Contour"....they never understand.

Wait till she finds out I'm buying a new set of wheels and tire before SZ LOL

Couple things I found while putting it together:

The dipstick tube is the same for both the 2.5 and 3.0 but the stick has a different reading. Maybe its to make up for the difference in the pans. I'm using the 3.0 stick since it has a higher readind with means more oil.
PICT4783.jpg

Next were waterpumps and housings. The 2.5 had a metal plate inside that had broke loose and was rubbing on the water pump impeller for sometime. The 3.0 was all auminum and had a different style impeller. I used the 3.0 system with a new napa pump.
PICT4787.jpg

Back