• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

winterizing my svt

raymond

CEG'er
This is my first winter in New Jersey. The car has never been subjected to extreme cold enviroments. I want to know what steps should be taken to prevent any issues with my svt. I currently have 20/50 oil in the car. I have 138,350 miles on it. What recommendations do you have for making sure that the car is prepared to handle the weather and still maintain optimal performance.

Fluids.

Oil 5W/30, not 20W/50
Coolant flush and refill with 50:50 concentration.
Brake fluid flush, Power Steering flush
Tranny drain and refill with Ford Honey (or maybe Royal Purple)???
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=2855&page=2
A/C test and check (to dry off the humidity when A/C turned to DEF or DEF/FLR).
Don't use Parking Brake when the temperature goes below freezing. ;)
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=4469

Duratec Maintenance-Read First
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=41

Last edited:
Fluids.

Oil 5W/30, not 20W/50
Coolant flush and refill with 50:50 concentration.
Brake fluid flush, Power Steering flush
Tranny drain and refill with Ford Honey (or maybe Royal Purple)???
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=2855&page=2
A/C test and check (to dry off the humidity when A/C turned to DEF or DEF/FLR).
Don't use Parking Brake when the temperature goes below freezing. ;)
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=4469

Duratec Maintenance-Read First
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=41

thats exactly what you need, but do make sure you have the right tires for the job as well. also keep your gas tank above 1/4th now i think thats everything

Last edited:
thats exactly what you need, but do make sure you have the right tires for the job as well. now i think thats everything
LOL. I completely forgot about the tires. Good looking out SVTJon87.:)

drain that purple or orange washer fluid and filler up with the blue stuff. The blue stuff doesn't freeze and melts snow and ice off better. Make sure you have gasline antifreeze though I know that most of the stations will have that added already. Stock up on washer fluid it may be on sale, and hrm...everything else is mentioned above. Tony's great isn't he? :p

This is my first winter in New Jersey. The car has never been subjected to extreme cold enviroments.

Hehe, funny :)
Beside the occasionnal (2 times/year) snow storm, that's not exactly the harshest conditions lol ;).
Winter tires always help, but mostly if you have to drive north from time to time.
Like they said, use blue or green (for the hardcore northeners like me!) windshield fluid... blue won't freeze, and green add antifreeze to help defrost your windshield. And believe me, you don't want your fluid to freeze in the bowl... took over an hour to thaw and clean the mess with a garden hose last time I drove back to Quebec !

5W30 helps, but syntech oil is the Holy Grail... can run on the same grade all year long, and start even at -25F! Worth the investment I think.

Winter wiper blades can be a choice, personnaly, I prefer to run on summer one, they don't tend to float at highway speed, but you have to be careful so that you don't pour water on them, like in a car wash. At least, dry them.

And the most important part, especially in states like NJ : clean your car at often as you can, especially the underside ! Salt and calcium is your enemy! Since I've moved to NJ from Quebec, I try to wash it at least once a month, sometime more often. Couldn't do that up north, so that's a good thing here !

Oh, and always carry a snow broom and an ice scrapper, maybe even a retractable shovel, so you won't look like a fool next time the snow plow dump a foot of snow on your car :)

P.S: I know it's too late for that, but if it can help other people for next winter, then that's good !

P.S: I know it's too late for that, but if it can help other people for next winter, then that's good !

I have some experience with this, although my car for the most part has been garaged. Snow tires are definitely useful if you expect more than a week or two of snow a winter. Since being in Indiana for the last 4 years I have managed just fine with potenza all seasons. A few times its been a bit interesting but I have managed.

I have been running Mobil 1 Synth. 5W-30 for the longest time and my engine has been great. Hot, cold, dry, humid. I have been from Miami to Alaska with this car and the oil has worked everywhere. Someone suggested the high mileage stuff and I may switch over at some point.

Salt is the devil as far as I am concerned. And going to the north east, that will definitely be an issue. I agree with MrFord that cleaning off your car will definitely help the life of your car.

In extreme cold (prolonged exposure of <0 F) your ancillary components will be the things that fail if anything, not your major ones, at least in my case. Water pumps, power steering, alternators, ect can all go very wrong in cold climates. Something as simple as a door latch will fail when your car gets close the -35 F point, no joke. Most of you won't hit that but some of us (myself) will. All recommendations about changing your fluids are valid. Brittle metal parts are not good. The cold makes many things brittle. Fluids won't prevent some of these failures, but dirty fluids certainly won't help.

Take all of this advice with a grain of salt. I think winters with either (a) 15 feet of snow or (b) -40 F are normal. This isn't really the norm for most people.

Look at my location, I know all about winterizing a car.
1.) Mobil 1 5w-30 or Amsoil is your freind. I have seen -60F, most oil doesn't like it even synthetic. Those two are your best bet to prevent it from sludging up too much to prevent it from starting.
2) If you don't use full synthetic invest in an oil pan heater.
3)Good wiper blades. I like the tripledge from walmart. made of silicon so it is good to -100F and doesn't collect ice on them. very nice blade for $7.
4) snow tires make a huge difference in handling I have noticed with these cars. A lot less understear and braking is improved as well
5) deicer in your glove box. I had my gas release get stuck on more than one time on my SE...if you have a remote gas release get some.
6) good windshield wiper fluid. mine always freezes until the engine heat thaws it out.

Back