• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

rear brakes stuck

SVTJON87

Hard-core CEG'er
99 CSVT
ahh its winter here now and went to leave my friends house, realesed the parking brake. went to back up and i had a hard time getting it to go. then let off the gas and the car stoped by itself. im guessing my parking brake froze right? the handle went all the way back down. as far as un sticking it should i just spray some PB on the the parking prake hook on the caliper? and how do i stop this from happening again? im not using my parking brake right now for the fear of the rear locking up again.

Last edited:
" im guessing my parking brake froze right?"
Correct.

" the handle went all the way back down. as far as un sticking it should i just spray some PB on the the parking prake hook on the caliper?"
It can't hurt.

"and how do i stop this from happening again? im not using my parking brake right now for the fear of the rear locking up again."
This is about the only way to prevent it from locking up during wet, freezing temperatures.

Read this.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=4290

thanks you sir. im just going to get under the rear and pack some grease in the boots and such. also look it they are worn out

ok so what i just did was move the hook on the caliper all the way back and put grease on the boot and such. the boots looked good, they wernt worn out. now when the car way up i spun the rear tires and there was a very small amount or drag after all was done. so im guessing now i also have the the parking brake ratchet problem. grrrr. its so cold out now

I had this problem in my ford truck. It was the cables not loosening all the way. I would release the parking brake but the cables were still tight. It was from all cables getting dirt and other road grime in them and maybe even some rust. I just replaced the emergency brake cables and I was good to go.

Back