• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Advice. Please.

Pen_Two

Is not easliy amused.
Before I start, lets leave all the "Omg you're a stupid idiot you deserve what you got." The fact of the matter is I deserve much more than what I got, and I'm not complaining about it because I'm getting off eaaaaaaaaaaaasy.

Now the predicament. Back in August/September my insurance was cancelled for various reasons, none being because I wasn't paying it. In september my registration expired, and without the insurance I couldn't renew it...so the plate is more than likely dead. The car is uninspected.

I finally got burned playing with fire yesterday because I finally got stopped. Was totally honest with the officer about what I didn't have. He was an amazing guy for understanding some of us were impacted by the economy's crap. I got 3 citations; Inspection, Registration, and Insurance. He said if I get insurance by the end of the week to plead not guilty and he'll have the magistrate drop it. Awesome awesome deal. He also said I neded to get the vehicle current as well.

I know my vehicle will fail inspection MISERABLY. I don't have the cash to fix it with the fines now...and luck have it the guy I know who could inspect it had the Chrysler shop he works in get shut down.

So...how do I get a car that will fail inspection...inspected? Or to save my license from being suspended...should I just give into one of those gimmicks where they tack on the remainder of your loan to a brand new car so I can have a vehicle that's completely current?

I'm so lost and worried about this now. Worst part is I had every plan to get the car curent this week since I finally have steady income again, and luck have it I finally got burned by my stupidity.:blackeye:

So what happens if you don't get it inspected in time?
Do you just pay a fine for all of the citations or something worse?

He cited me for the registration, inspection, and insurance. He said to pay the inspection and registration fine, plead not guilty to the insurance. As long as I get everything curent by Friday and keep all the receipts showing it at the hearing, he'll have no problem dropping the insurance ticket. Which means I get to keep my license.

what happens if you fail inspection in PA? can you not drive the vehicle until its fixed? or do you have time to get it done while driving it?

If I don't get it done by friday and still plead not guilty, he won't drop it and I'll have my license suspended. How long I'm not sure...I didn't read up on it.

what happens if you fail inspection in PA? can you not drive the vehicle until its fixed? or do you have time to get it done while driving it?

Without an inspection, you can't drive it.

^Good! One down, two to go. ;)

If I don't get it done by friday and still plead not guilty, he won't drop it and I'll have my license suspended. How long I'm not sure...I didn't read up on it.

Without an inspection, you can't drive it.

90 days, IIRC.

does that mean if you don't do it you can't drive or if it fails you can't drive?

Either way, you can't drive the vehicle until it's inspected.
He still can't get it inspected until the vehicle registration is current. You must have insurance and a valid registration to get a vehicle inspected.

Last edited:
Find some dude on a local 4x4 that works at a local inspection place. Maybe there are some cool guys that do this stuff on the DL.

Would they consider this acceptable: documentation of an inspection attempt, subsequent failure, and appointment with work order for the repairs?
(obviously don't drive the car to court)

If they will, and if you have a credit card, stick all of that on your card and deal with the cost over the next few months since you have a steady job. Unless you have a bent frame or something really major, it'd likely be cheaper than rolling the entire loan into a new car.

Credit cards aren't an option unfortunately. These tickets halted paying my credit card payments this month. :blackeye:

Tomorrow I'll tackle the registration part of this problem.

If I went the route of trading the "H"eep in, I'd probably get another Jeep. Used again of course. I'll keep that idea in the back of my head as a just-in-case method. I found a low-mileage '05 Liberty base model with 4wd and a 6 speed manual that caught my fancy, but like I said...just-in-case.

Ok, so the list is getting better...

Insurance - Check
Registration - Check
Inspection -

Hopefully they're opened on black friday.

Would they consider this acceptable: documentation of an inspection attempt, subsequent failure, and appointment with work order for the repairs?
(obviously don't drive the car to court)

Nope. If the vehicle doesn't pass inspection you can't drive it... period.
You are allotted three months to get your vehicle inspected before the inspection expires. In those three months you have time to get any and all repairs done so it will pass inspection. You are S.O.L. if you are expired and get caught driving, the citation is yours.

Inspection stations are open on black Friday. Women are the ones going out shopping for those "bargins", the techs need to work to pay for all the crap they are out buying. ;)

Nice job of getting everything accomplished. :)

Back