• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Manual boost controller

2kSVT

CEG'er
Does anyone have pictures of where you cut into your vacuum lines to install your MBC??
I just got one, and would like to see where you guys think is the best location for it.
I found some related threads, but all the pics have expired. I want to go to 10#!!

Thanks

Rod

I have mine in between my T in the vacuum lines and the wastegate.

Like this...vac line from the UIM, T, one side goes to BOV, other down to Wastegate. I have the MBC inline with the wastegate.

*Right above the flames on your SCT badge. After that T.

100_3519.jpg

Not Installed in this pic....it would go just below the brass T.

second3l013ut6.jpg

Perfect..you guys are the best. I just installed it right after the T, between the T and the wastegate. It's pouring rain here right now. This should be fun!

Thanks again.

Rod

Oh my! I just got back from a little drive. It is still raining, so it is a little tricky. Let's just say traction is out the door through 3 gears if you are on the gas. I did some pulls in 3rd and 4th. I have the screw all the way out. It seems to be at 10#, but it spiked to 11 or 12 as it hit WOT. I stopped and tried to back the screw out. It is barely holding a few threads. Will stretching the little spring help lighten the boost, since I can't back the screw any more?? Is there another trick? I still have my 2.5 in the car, so I don't want to push the limits of the motor. Will this short spike hurt? The A/F was around 12.6 to 13. I will do some highway pulls tomorrow on dry pavement. I'll watch the boost and the A/F more closely.

Rod

with the mbc set as low as it will go it will give you the "stock" boost, ie the spring in the wastegate. you then turn it up to get more boost.

something doesn't sound right with your install. the spiking is normal from what I have seen, well to a point anyway.

what mbc are you using?

I think I have the screw as far out as possible. I read that someone else actually had more boost that the stock setting after they installed their MBC. I put it right after the T on the picture. I just bought a cheap one from ebay. I read online that you can lightly stretch the spring if you have too much boost with the screw all the way out. The one I bought is supposed to be able to max out at 25#.

Rod

with the mbc set as low as it will go it will give you the "stock" boost, ie the spring in the wastegate. you then turn it up to get more boost.

something doesn't sound right with your install. the spiking is normal from what I have seen, well to a point anyway.

what mbc are you using?

hey brian. i dunno what bc he's using, but the one i have(turbo XS) doesnt set the lowest point at the base spring. mine starts @ 10 even tho i've got an 8lb spring like u do.

I think it was you BAD, that i was reading about. I have a 8# spring as well. It seems that right around 10 is as low as this BC will go. I'm going to play with it more tomorrow.

hey brian. i dunno what bc he's using, but the one i have(turbo XS) doesnt set the lowest point at the base spring. mine starts @ 10 even tho i've got an 8lb spring like u do.

hmm, I'll have to check mine again but I was pretty sure that with mine, a hallman rx that it went to the wastegate when turned all the way down. Maybe is was a pound over. I have a 3 psi spring that I have been using a mbc to bring it to 8 psi. I plan to swap out the spring the next time the kit comes out which might be this winter to have the pipe powdercoated or to just repaint them.

You could go to the hardware store and find a spring the same size that is more easily compressed. I would be a little worried if you are on the last few threads.

I wouldn't freak out about the boost spike but do be very mindful of it...mine would only go over by ~1 psi before settling at the appropriate level.

My MBC is from 3barracing.com and mine will go as low as 6#. My wastegate is 5#.

http://www.3barracing.com/product_6.htm

Hey Rod I just noticed you have the dump valve backwards you should have boost under the valve not on the side the spring pushes the valve down against the boost no wonder you are leaking boost. Joey

Joey, are you saying the 3/4" hoses should be switched?? As in the BOV is on wrong? The side going into the recirc. hose is in fact the side with the spring valve. Holy crap! I think that is the way it got installed from the get go. If it is switched, do you think I could return to venting to the atmosphere? Let me know, I'm off tomorrow and was going to get the MBC dialed in and get you some new numbers.

Rod

So whats the story? Did you try to switch it around and see what the boost does?

I would take out the boost controller for a first run though.

If it is in fact on backwards that could be a major contributor to the tough idle and stalling at lights.

Also would most likely allow venting to atmosphere.

Joey, are you saying the 3/4" hoses should be switched?? As in the BOV is on wrong? The side going into the recirc. hose is in fact the side with the spring valve. Holy crap! I think that is the way it got installed from the get go. If it is switched, do you think I could return to venting to the atmosphere? Let me know, I'm off tomorrow and was going to get the MBC dialed in and get you some new numbers.

Rod

Yeah, so I switched it around. It is a little louder now. I tried to remove the recirc. hose and run the car. It runs like crap w/o the recirc. hose. So I put it back on, and it runs fine.
I helped "Sprayed" hightower his lights last night. We took mine to the parts store. On the way I spiked to 15 psi for like a second! It freaked me out. As I'm leaving the parts store and driving down the road, I hear this wierd noise. I'm thinking I broke the motor or something. It is running fine, and still making boost..no loud noise. It just had this exhaust leak sound. Well, I get home and take a look. The short jaunt to 15 was too much for the wastegate gasket. I can see a clear gap where it used to be. I pulled off the wastegate today and made new gaskets. Both the old ones fall out in a few pieces. Well anyone with the recirculated wastegate knows what a PITA it is to put on. One of the bolts got cross threaded on install so I have to tap it tomorrow. It is covered with soot, so I think it has been leaking exhaust since the install. I took the boost controller off, cause now I'm scared of breaking something. I got another nut and JB welded it to the top. I can now "unthread" the valve another 1/4" to hopefully get it lower. I hope this will get me closer to 8# all the way out, instead of the 10-12# as it was without the extra nut on top.

Rod

Is your wastegate a Tial 35mm/38mm? If so, they've redesigned the gasket because they commonly blow out.

lol, wastegate gaskets ..... have not been my stong point either. I am on my 3rd set. I poped the first because I forgot to tighten down the wastegate enough. the secon set went because the bolts lossened up. This last time I used red loc-tite on the bolts and they haven't moved. they where also the first things in the system tightened since I installed the up and down pipe as one assembled unit. I also cross threaded some of the bolts trying to install it in car. best to remove everything to install the wastegate.

I also made my own gaskets. I made them oversize to help to make them stronger. I also had a whole saw that was the perfect size so I think that helped compared to the other way that I did it.

That is so strange you guys are blowing out WG gaskets. I have used and consequently reused mine up to 12 psi on my first 3L and up to 7.5 on this one with no issue what-so-ever.

15 psi, yikes!!! Seriously, go to ACE hardware and get a softer spring. Will be easier to work with then just unscrewing it farther with what seems to me a pretty firm spring. I think the softer the spring the more 'fine tuning' of boost you can do.

Back