• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Trans Mount Bolt

SVTCANUK

CEG'er
Does anyone know the specs for the bolt to attach the LH (driver's side) transmission isolator to the mounting bracket? I'm talking about the single bolt that passes through the mount and threads into the metal sleeve inside the rubber isolator. I know it's M12 x 1.75 X 60mm but I do not know the grade i.e. 8.8, 9.8, 10.9.

Anyone???

While getting ready for my next project today, poly filled RR, I was checking everything over and noticed that the LH trans mount didn't look right. Sure enough when I grabbed it, the rubber isolator came right out. No wonder why my trans was hanging so low. I have no Idea how long it had been that way but it's been a while. Anyway, I replaced the snapped bolt with an M12 X 1.75 X 60mm that I had handy, the new bolt is an 8.8 and I need to know if it's strong enough or do I need to get a 10.9?

wow, must be the luck of the 1999 Green SVT's last night on my way home I went to shift into 3rd and there was basically no resistance and still in 2nd gear.... was hoping for a shift link problem but it does not appear that way..... and I also found the tranny mount bolt to be snapped off, so, I would also like to know the size of that bolt...

wow, must be the luck of the 1999 Green SVT's last night on my way home I went to shift into 3rd and there was basically no resistance and still in 2nd gear.... was hoping for a shift link problem but it does not appear that way..... and I also found the tranny mount bolt to be snapped off, so, I would also like to know the size of that bolt...

Sounds like you might have broke your shift tower bolt if you car is still stuck in 2nd! That bolt broken will not create no resistance in the shifter and leave the car stuck in gear. Sounds like you have 2 problems now.

I agree with Reebs, you may have 2 separate problems. Although mine was snapped it drove fine other than the trans case hitting the newly installed, inverted, lower control arm bolt. I thought my problem was with the bolt because I installed it upside down, with the nut on the top, little did I know my trans was hanging low all the this time. It was only when the new bolt was installed upside down that the rubbing began and I was made aware of the problem. With the OEM bolt installed from the top there was still enough clearance for the trans not to hit anything.

I think you need to look at your shift tower, if you can get it out, and make sure all the bolts are intact. If you can get the tower out and the bolt is broken make sure you get the broken bolt head out of the trans case or you will have even bigger problems to deal with.

i kind of figured that it would be the shift tower bolt... and being stuck in 2nd it sounds like i will have some problems getting it out without removing the tranny... but i did find one post about getting it out with the use of a grinder and putting it in nuetral at the tranny with my hand so i will give that a try this weekend

thanks for the bolt size i will be picking one up tonight to get that resolved for now

sorry it took so long... couldnt find it again... but here is the link it is on page 2

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=34180&highlight=shift+tower

blackcoog:

I don't remember exactly how because it was a while ago but with the old tower you can unscrew the metal cap on top. I think I removed what I could under the cap and cut something so that the top plate that covers hole in the transmission could be removed. Then you can get access the inside of the transmission and shift it back into neutral and pull the rest out. In my case the car was stuck in third. The bolt in the tower broke and dropped straight down to the bottom of the case and could be seen when the tower was out sitting at the bottom. The was no transmission damage. Sorry I couldn't be more detailed but at least you know it can be done.

no not yet, my car is at my parents house about an hour from whre i live and work so i only usually work on it on weekends... so this weekend i am going to try it. the junkyard down the road from where i live has a tranny for 150$ with 75k on it so if i wreck mine i will jsut go get that one and put it in.

My bolt was also broke. I tried to find one at the yards but wasn't able to. I ended up just buying a grade 8 bolt that was the correct length but in the largest diameter possible. I have had no problems with it so far, about 20k miles.

Back