• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Is 2.25 big enough?

slocal94

CEG'er
I was looking at getting a bassani catback but realized that its only 2.25 where like trubendz is 2.5. I know in theory Ill get more torque from the 2.25 but overall performance wise Im just not sure. What do you guys think?

-- Cameron

I was looking at getting a bassani catback but realized that its only 2.25 where like trubendz is 2.5. I know in theory Ill get more torque from the 2.25 but overall performance wise Im just not sure. What do you guys think?

I think "whats the matter with the current exhaust?"

2.25" is the size of the SVT stock exhaust and should flow well enough for a close to stock 2.5 SVT motor. The Bassani will be more for sound and nice tips than power---same size and SS mandrel bends as stock. The restriction on the stock exhaust is the resonator, remove that first if your looking for power (that and a K&N filter :) ).
You may not need the 2.5"---what mods do you plan on doing?
-J

just full bolt-ons. Just bought headers, and Y pipe. Just need a catback now!

Then remove the stock resonator and add better flowing mufflers in the rear.

2.25 quasi exhaust is fine and great for any modded 2.5L engine.

well here's the deal. I can get the bassani catback for a really good deal. I have connects with bassani. But again, if Im not going to see alot more gain going with 2.5 with maybe Ill reconsider. Also I have already cut out the stock resonator. Thanks guys.

My Bassani seems fine on my 3L with 210/206 and on starjammir's 3L with 220/200. I doubt your 2.5 with bolt-ons is going to be too much for it. :) From what I understand, the fitment on Trubendz systems absolutely sucks, where as I have no issues with my Bassani. Also, exhaust experts, correct me if I'm wrong, but oversized piping will result in a loss of torque, correct?

My Bassani seems fine on my 3L with 210/206 and on starjammir's 3L with 220/200. I doubt your 2.5 with bolt-ons is going to be too much for it. :) From what I understand, the fitment on Trubendz systems absolutely sucks, where as I have no issues with my Bassani. Also, exhaust experts, correct me if I'm wrong, but oversized piping will result in a loss of torque, correct?

All your doing is moving the power points at different rpms.
2.25 sooner tq
2.5 a bit later.

Now mind you it would be 300-400rpms difference. Nothing to worry about. But if you do buy a 2.5 exhaust and have high flow mufflers/resonators. Then you wouldn't see much of an improvement. It is pretty much a waste of money.

So again replace the resonator and increase cfm flow by upgrading your rear mufflers. Really cheap mod and you will have all the necessary parts then if you do decide to go with a 2.5 tube kit later.

well here's the deal. I can get the bassani catback for a really good deal. I have connects with bassani. But again, if Im not going to see alot more gain going with 2.5 with maybe Ill reconsider. Also I have already cut out the stock resonator. Thanks guys.
If you can get a good deal and like the sound/tips of the Bassani go for it. I don't see you giving up enough power to worry about by not going 2.5". But if you have some good contacts, maybe ask them to make it 2.5" before the split to the rear mufflers :shrug:.
-J

Any thoughts on a decent size for a true dual set-up or would 2.25 work as well?

I thought i answered this in another thread....as i have custom made and soo many others have as well (so far 7).....2 inch is more than enough for a 2.5L or 3.0L.

2.25 is alittle too much unless you are running a 3.0L with a blower.

Roger aka Klasse Act installed 2.5inch true duals on his stock 2.5L and regreted it. IT was too big of an exhaust and he gained only 9whp.

Steeda who installed 2inch true duals on a bone stock svt with only an open air k&n filter gained 15whp and 18wtq.

I haven't dyno'd my car so i have no way to compare but what my butt dyno tells me. And he talks a lot of chit :)

dangit.... now im thinking I should do true duals and cancel my y pipe I just bought.... :(

I just havent heard a dual setup that sounds good yet... :(

last question.... with a good y pipe and catback.... would you see similar gains as with true dual? I just like the sounds better with it "Y"ed.

I thought i answered this in another thread....as i have custom made and soo many others have as well (so far 7).....2 inch is more than enough for a 2.5L or 3.0L.

2.25 is alittle too much unless you are running a 3.0L with a blower.

Roger aka Klasse Act installed 2.5inch true duals on his stock 2.5L and regreted it. IT was too big of an exhaust and he gained only 9whp.

Steeda who installed 2inch true duals on a bone stock svt with only an open air k&n filter gained 15whp and 18wtq.

I haven't dyno'd my car so i have no way to compare but what my butt dyno tells me. And he talks a lot of chit :)

dangit.... now im thinking I should do true duals and cancel my y pipe I just bought.... :(

I just havent heard a dual setup that sounds good yet... :(

last question.... with a good y pipe and catback.... would you see similar gains as with true dual? I just like the sounds better with it "Y"ed.

Ha...if you heard my exhaust now, you would love it. :shrug:

Back