• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Whats your oil pressure?

Brent372

Official SE Event Coordinator
For those of you with oil pressure gauges.. what is your oil pressure at HOT IDLE? Also, where is your sending unit?

hot idle at the head will be ~10 psi, 35 at cruise.

hot idle tapped at the block behind the ac compressor or at a remote oil filter will be ~ 20 psi, 65 at cruise.

fyi this has been posted a number of times ...

He might be trying to collaborate all the info floating around......

I am now running Mobil 5000

I don't know if the different year 3L's run at different oil pressures, so just to clarify my motor is a 18k 2005 Taurus 3L w/ 3L heads and cams.

3Lbuild114.jpg

This location for the sending unit is a little tight with the cooling fan shroud. It fits, but barely. If I was to do it again, I probably would have routed it all the way to the battery tray area and mounted it there. But it's all good!

My gauge has read down to 25 PSI at idle and usually runs at 80 PSI on the highway and I am tapped into the block behind the ac compressor. I am running a FAZE electrical guage on my 3L.

Here are some other peoples readings that posted in my thread:
i use 5w-30 as well, cold driving i get up over 90 psi, but at operating temp it goes from 18psi hot idle to 65 psi hot cruising
Mine reads the same as Fox's. I think 63 cruising. 80 something on cold start. Idle around 18. Mine is mechanical and is plumbed into my oil filter relocation setup.
I'm pretty sure that mine is tapped at the head. Reads 40 PSI cruising on the highway, 80 PSI cold idle, 8 psi hot idle. :eek:

So I'm wondering what that means if mine is exactly 2 psi lower at both readings. Ring wear?

I would 2 psi isn't enough to worry about. could just be a difference in the oil, or the amount or some other variable.

plus mine is electric not mechanical.

My gauge has read down to 25 PSI at idle and usually runs at 80 PSI on the highway and I am tapped into the block behind the ac compressor. I am running a FAZE electrical guage on my 3L.

My warmed up numbers are very similar. My block is an 01' with low low miles. When the engine's cold I bury my electric gauge over 100psi when cruising :eek:

I've been waiting for a thread like this, was going to start one, but never got around to it.

'99 CSVT, original engine, 85K miles. Autometer 150 psi full sweep mechanical oil pressure gauge on -3 Teflon line. Oil temperature sensor is in the remote filter head.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn78/gmorrell_1959/SVTC A-pillar gauges/DSC02311.jpg

The oil lines to the filter are -10, or 5/8" ID.

Hot oil pressure -vs- RPM:
(coolant and oil at 210F)
RPM psi
1000 25
1500 37
2000 48
3000 62
4000 65
5000 65

Hot idle is typically 22 psi.

Cold (<40F) oil pressure at startup, have seen 90psi at idle, well over 100psi driving away gently. Now that the cold weather is here again, I'm seeing the normal sky-high start-up pressures. The peak/hold function on my gauge is storing 140 psi from a recent cold morning, so you guys who are pegging 100 psi gauges have 40psi to go. :eek:

Never seen much difference between Valvoline 5W-30 semi-synthetic and Shell Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic, and (update, Dec 2009), now running Mobil-1 5W-30 High Mileage for the winter, pretty much the same numbers.

These engines generate some stupid-high cold oil pressures.

Gary M.

Last edited:
Hot oil pressure -vs- RPM:
(coolant and oil at 210F)
RPM psi
1000 25
1500 37
2000 48
3000 62
4000 65
5000 65

I have seen similar numbers. ~3500 rpm it should be making full oil pressure. between idle and 3~3500rpm it should range from ~18-20 psi at idle to the full 65 psi

Thanks guys !!!!
Mine is measured at the head.
I am running Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-30

at hot idle I am right around 10, but have noticed it drop to around 8 (short sweet electric gauge) so I have been a little concerned.

I just took a round trip 150 mile journey on the highway today. 87 psi 5th gear 3,000 RPM. Idle at stop light, 28-30 PSI. All at full running temp for over 1hr. These are my exact #s.

My oil pressure is weird. On a nice cool morning its about 67 psi at 70 MPH. On a 90 deg day its at 56 PSI going 70 MPH. Weird! Tapped in behind the AC.

Back