• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Bosch O2 part numbers

SVT_CT

CEG'er
I'm looking for the precat O2's on my 99 SVT (built post 1/2/99). The posts I found on CEG almost always refer to Bosch 13115 as the precat O2 (one post showed 15717).

I found the following Bosch O2 part numbers on boschauto.com. All refer to SVT's. (note: model year 1999 are split by build date as "to 1/2/99" and "1/2/99 on").

In additon to the chart below, I called Autozone to check stock and they said it is part number 15718!

Year PreCat PostCat
2000 15716 15717
to99 15717 13133
99on 15717 15717
1998 13115 13133

Does anyone know the differences between 15716, 15717, 15718, and 13115? More importantly, any recommondations on what to use (precats only)?

hmm interesting, parts america.com list both the upstream and down stream sensor as 15718 and 15717

just remember that upstream sensors have square connectors and the downstream sensors have round ones ...

...the upstream sensors have square connectors and the downstream sensors have round ones ...

BrApple - I got impatient and bought the 15717's recommended by Autozone/Pep Boys. Unfortunately they have the round connectors :( Is the upstream=square and downstream=round true for all year of SVT's?

Muntus - I am not concerned about the downstream sensors because I will use MIL eliminators if necessary. My understanding is that they do not affect performance, and MIL eliminators are cheaper than O2's or new precats.

BrApple - I got impatient and bought the 15717's recommended by Autozone/Pep Boys. Unfortunately they have the round connectors :( Is the upstream=square and downstream=round true for all year of SVT's?

muntus - I am not concerned about the downstream sensors because I will use MIL eliminators if necessary. My understanding is that they do not affect performance, and MIL eliminators are cheaper than O2's or new precats.

My downstream o2 sensor(the round connector type) is bad. I have the WeaponR headers and when I put in my 3L with the o2 sensor in the header, it got damaged as it hit something going in. The MIL eliminators I made from Radio Shack parts worked great, but they don't do the job if the sensor is bad. :mad:

Stupid Salt Lake County has emissions testing(Utah varies from county to county for emissions). I have to fix it before my temporary permit expires.:laugh:

I'm just going to get a new sensor(the round kind), get new Radio Shack parts, and solder it up.

So the MIL eliminators need a good sensor to work? I always thought the cap/resistor did the trick and the sensor was left in just to fill in the bung hole :)

(I just had to say it that way)

The MIL eliminator circuit is NOT part of the heater circuit, which is what the P0161 fault code points to. The heater circuit must be intact regardless of whether a MIL eliminator circuit is installed or not.

If the sensor is broken, eliminators will not fix them, bunghole.:laugh:

The MIL eliminators modify the signal to make the computer believe that the cat is properly functioning. They need a signal to function.

The way the cat monitor works is that the computer compares the switching speed of the upstream sensor to the switching speed of the downstream sensor. The cat monitor runs occasionally, not all the time. It runs after several conditions have been met, including the the engine is warmed up and stabilized. The sensors fluctuate with the exhaust pulse as the exhaust valves open and close. The switching is very rapid. If the cat is working properly, the switching will be much slower downstream of the cat. In our case, it only monitors the pre-cats. When the downstream switching rate too closely mirrors the upstream sensor, the cat monitor says "tilt" and turns on the MIL (malfunction indicator light aka CEL or check engine light). It also sets a code.

Thanks for the info guys. I ended up with 13115's. I know I could have soldered the square conn, but did not want to. Also, I had always thought the cap/resistor in MIL eliminators acts as a load to fool the computer, but it looks like ithe cap and resistor slow the switching rate of the O2 signal to trick the computer.

BrApple - Do you know if MIL eliminators must be hidden to pass the new CT emissions?

I ended up buying the 13133 for my downstream and went to two different Radio Shacks to get all the parts for a new mil eliminator.

Back